PDA

View Full Version : Turmoil

Mitchell Krog
08-25-2008, 03:33 AM
This photo taken on the South Coast of Kwazulu Natal in South Africa on a cold and overcast morning.

Nikon D3 | Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 | 1/13 @ F/22 | ISO 200 | ND Grad Filters

Johannes Glännman
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi...

I like the photo. You have used a good shutterspeed that makes the water move but not get to soft. The clouds is great and I can really feel the cold wind.

Good job bob // Johannes

Robert Amoruso
08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Mitchel, welcome to the landscape forum.

Very impressive image. Composition is nicely chosen from the FG bowl in the rocks to the BG overcast and cold looking clouds. I agree with Johannes that the shutter speed is perfect to get this blurring in the wave - it shows the flow, creates a nice pattern but does not look too soft.

BTW, please post the technical information like exposure, ISO, camera, lens, filters, etc. as that helps us critique and learn how the image was made.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Mitchell and welcome. I cannot tell you how much I love this image. It is spectacularly well done, esp. the timing and the COMP. I love the spotlit effect on the middle of the breaking wave. My eye just keeps moving and grooving when I look at this one. It might do well in the BBC Wild Places category...

Michael Pancier
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd love to see the specs on this as well. well done.

Dave Mills
08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Excellent! Beautiful lighting and dynamic subject matter. The flow of the water grabs you and brings you into the image.
Imoact...impact...impact is what you have here. Well done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Mithcell,
Agree with all above. The layers of water movement.....from the FG silkiness to the mid frame wave........very well composed! .........add a very dramatic sky.......just super!

Julie Kenward
08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah...definitely want the specs on this one! That water is really fabulous. The motion of the waves and the drama of the rest of the image - it's really superb!

Gus Cobos
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Very well composed; and your timing was super. I like the creamy flow of the water; it looks like you painted it in...excellent, the colors are superb...congrats...please post the capture specs on the image...:cool:

Paul Marcellini
08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Great comp and the shutter speed is perfect here. Well done.

Stephen Stephen
08-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Congratulations Mitchell. I agree with comments already posted.

Mitchell Krog
08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much everyone, I so very much appreciate your positive feedback and kind words. Excuse my tardiness in replying, had all sorts of Internet connectivity problems this week and a busy week to top it all.

I have added some details to the original post regarding settings, equipment etc.

Paul Pagano
09-07-2008, 08:05 AM
A beautiful image. Both active and soothing at the same time. Well done.