PDA

View Full Version : Mountain, Rock and Water

Layton E Parham
08-25-2008, 12:07 AM
View of Cadillac Mtn, Acadia National Park, I Cropped the large, wide rock off the bottom.
Canon Eos 1D MarkIII, 16-35IIL2.8, F7.1, 1/200sec, Iso 400, Manual Mode

Robert Amoruso
08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Looking good Layton.

Good DOF at f/7.1 - sharp near to far. I like that you left a line of rocks along the bottom. Actually a bit more of the rock on the lower left is needed to provide better separation from the water and frame edge. Since you cropped off the bottom, add a bit back IMO for that.

I like the placement of the BG mountain. ALl you needed was a really rough surf for some major crashing waves.

When did you get the 16-35mm? Like it? I am thinking the 17-40mm myself.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I like the basic idea of this image and I agree with Robert that you cropped a bit too much off of the bottom. And the rocks look a bit over-sharpened to me.

Quiz: why would moving ten yards to your left have improved the image (IMHO)?

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Layton,
I know the area well. Agree with Robert that crashing waves would have added even more impact.

Quiz: why would moving ten yards to your left have improved the image (IMHO)?[/quote]

OK Artie.......I'll bite...........because he would have gotten a nice cool refreshing dip in the Atlantic on a hot summer day:D!............but seriously.........I'm 90% sure he couldn't.....but if he could...........his leading line of the rocks would have had a bit more shore seperation and the distant mtns. would have also had better seperation????........my guess anyway.

Layton E Parham
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Here is the original, How should I crop it? Robert, I think I bought the 16-35II In June. I Love it. Artie, If I could, I should have moved left to place the edge of the water in the lower left corner of the frame? This would have removed more of the rocks.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Layton,

Especially after seeing the original I think you did a fine job of cropping. I will be interested to see exactly what the others had in mind. Great shot.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
So far Layton and Roman are 0 for 2 on why moving to the left would (IMO) improve this image. The correct answer has to do with the juxtaposition of the compositional elements.

I love the broad tan shelf of rock lower left and would not crop it at all. I would however, moved ten yards or so to my left! The mystery continues.

Stephen Stephen
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Layton nice image although I think I prefer the original or perhaps a crop partway between the two.

Is it the mist in the distacne or could this image do with a very small bit of CCW rotation?

Sorry Artie I'm not seeing what moving 10 yeards to the left would do. I presune that you would not also change you camera lens direction.

Ian McHenry
08-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Beautiful seascape Layton,
Would like to see an enlargement of centre right promontary where all the action is.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Layton E Parham
08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Would like to see an enlargement of centre right promontary where all the action is.
Is this what you wanted to see.

Ian McHenry
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Layton.
Really nicely done.