PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican

Kirk Benson
08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
It's been way too long since I've been able to image at Bolsa Chica, it felt great to be out there again. I was able to catch this Pelican as it flew by. Of course I wish I had not clipped the wings out of frame, but I still like the wing position and the late afternoon light. I'm anxious to hear if you think it's still a pleasing image or not, I know you'll be candid and that's what I count on. Thanks for looking.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 70-300 VRII @ 220, Manual 1/1600 @ f/7.1, Auto ISO @ 640, Matrix metering.

Desmond Chan
08-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I was able to catch this Pelican as it flew by. Of course I wish I had not clipped the wings out of frame, but I still like the wing position and the late afternoon light...Nikkor 70-300 VRII @

Too bad about the clipped wing. Otherwise, it sure looks good to me. Could use a bit more room on the right though.

IMO, yours is another example that shows 70-300 VR can produce good images ( I heard it's even better when used with D3). I use it whenever I want to travel light.

Linda Robbins
08-25-2008, 05:21 AM
The exposure is good and the image is sharp, but IMO the clipped wings ruin the image. You are so lucky to be able to photograph at Bolsa Chica....what a great place!

Linda

Arthur Morris
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Ah, to make soup from a stone. Approximately following the cut down clip rule plus some SH/H and eye repair work (the latter with very few pixels to work with) resulted in the repost. All as in Digital Basics and ABP II.

Gus Cobos
08-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Kirk,
Its a shame that you cut the wing...exposure is good with sharp details and vibrant colors...This one does not do it for me...:cool:

Kirk Benson
08-28-2008, 01:16 AM
That actually makes a big difference, thanks for the help Artie, you're very generous with your soup recipes ;-)

Arthur Morris
08-28-2008, 07:15 AM
You are most welcome. The Chef. (Heck, that is way better than the Soup-Nazi!)