PDA

View Full Version : Curve-Billed Thrasher in yard

Gus Hallgren
01-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Photographed in our yard in Green Valley, AZ 1/12/2008 11:18 AM using Olympus E-510 IS, zuiko 70-300mm 4-5.6 - 140-600mm equiv, AP, 1/250, F7.1, EV:0 WB-Auto, Tripod. First time with new lens. Beautiful sunny day, 72F

Jay Campbell
01-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I like the overall image & love that yellow eye catching the light. I am also a learner here, but may would have left a bit more room at the top & right side. Nice bird!

Cheers,
Jay

Judd Patterson
01-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Again a great shot, Gus. The feel of the desert is great with that cactus as a perch. Your light here is quite harsh and creates some heavy shadow areas. You might have luck photographing birds earlier in the day with softer light, or can maybe improve your angle so that more of the shadows fall behind the bird. If not, you might want to learn more about fill flash so that you can use a flash unit to lessen the dark shadows. See you around...

Gus Hallgren
01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Judd,

Thanks for the headsup. All your suggestions are well received, and I will now take more care with noon time light, and use your tips.

Gus

Mike Boyce
01-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Howdy Gus,

Nice Curve-billed Thrasher! I agree with Jay that the light on the yellow eye is great. And I agree with Judd on the cactus perch and photographing early or late in the day. But my agreement ends there.

Unlike Jay, I would have prefered more space to the left... the top is OK. I like to give wildlife space in the direction they are facing. It brings them to life.

And while the "sweet light" of dawn and dusk are awesome, I don't find your the light and shadow areas on the bird to be that harsh at all. maybe just a little. You have detail in both the shadow areas of the photo and most of the full sun areas of your subject. Besides, shadows can add drama, like Orson Wells used in his clasic film Citizen Kane.

We are all students of photography, and we can all have different opinions. It doesn't neccessarily mean anyones opinions are right or wrong, just different.

If you are like me, you might love a photo you take one year, and think it lousy a few years later as you become a better photographer.

Keep experimenting and learning. You're on the right track!

Mike

Learning to do by doing!