PDA

View Full Version : Tourmaline Sunangel Landing

Linda Robbins
08-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens and a Canon EOS-1D Mark II N mounted on a tripod.
ISO 400. Manual mode: 1/250 sec. at f/20. Seven flash set-up. Perch placed in the set-up. Artificial background.,

I placed this perch in the photographic area lit by the flashes at my set-up, and the hummingbirds began using it before I could even get back behind my camera. Hummingbirds will often land on the exact same spot on a perch over and over again. By pre focusing on that spot you can get cute landing poses when the bird returns.

Linda

Ramon M. Casares
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Outstanding, just fabulous! Congratulations!!!

Laura Hughes
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Excellent image and technique, love the little dance he is doing

Glenda Simmons
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I so love Hummingbirds! and You show them off so beautifully. He does kinda look as he is doing a Fred Astaire move! A different pose. I'm interested in learning about artifical backgrounds. Will this be covered in your guide? How about more info on this guide, we keep hearing about?

Linda Robbins
08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I so love Hummingbirds! and You show them off so beautifully. He does kinda look as he is doing a Fred Astaire move! A different pose. I'm interested in learning about artifical backgrounds. Will this be covered in your guide? How about more info on this guide, we keep hearing about?

Thanks Glenda. I absolutely adore hummingbirds too.....not only for their exquisite beauty, but for their cute, feisty personalities!

The Guide is finished and with the designer who will finish the layout this week, so it will be on CD within two weeks. The Guide will be available from Birds As Art or you can contact me directly at lindaasart@aol.com. The Guide covers everything you need to know to get quality photographing hummingbirds.

Here is a list of some of the topics covered in the guide: High Speed Multiple Flash and Overview of a Hummingbird Set-up, Cameras and Lenses, Tripods - Flash stands and Articulated Arms, Flashes, Feeders, Artificial Backgrounds, Batteries and Chargers, Bees-Wasps and Ants, Guarding Birds, Setting up your Set-up Step By Step, Getting the Right Exposure, Troubleshooting, Digital Considerations and Photoshop Techniques, Photographing Perched Hummingbirds, Helpful Odds and Ends.

The guide includes detailed instructions for firing the remote flashes either optically, by hard wiring, or by using transmitter/receivers.

Photographing hummingbirds is the most fun you can have with a camera!

Juan Aragonés
08-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Hey Linda, can´t wait to have a look on your guide! Regarding this image, I like a lot the pose of the bird and the action. Fantastic!! On the other hand I think that the perch is not the best and this little flying jewels deserves a better perch. The BG looks very unnatural to me.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Once folks have the guide, spend the big bucks on the necessary equipment, and lug it all over the planet, it will be interesting to see their improved backgrounds. I for one am always willing to learn.

In this image, it would be easy for Linda to darken the BKGR which I think would help.

As for the image, the pose is too cute. Linda is the fastest gun in the West or the South, or anywhere... Lastly, I rather like the perch.

ps: I too much prefer the variegated BKGRs to the single color ones.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Simply awesome Linda. Love the cute pose and great deail. Always love to see your posts and I am looking forward to your new book on hummingbirds.