PDA

View Full Version : The House On The Hill

Julie Kenward
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
This is the home of one of the biggest developers in Kansas City. Below his home lies an entirely new community that he built from scratch. I was out photographing one of the buildings this morning (soon to be our new office building) and saw the clouds over his home and thought it might make for an interesting landscape.

As I went to put the camera in the car, I totally pulled my back out. I had to get back in the car and drive myself home...and then to the doctor...and then to the pharmacy. I'm on 'happy pills' now so say what you want about the photo - I can take it. :):D:)

Canon 40D, Ef 17-40mm f/4L USM
f13 @ 1/800, ISO 500
Handheld, Natural light, AWB

Dan Brown
08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Julie. Nice home of yours:D. This spot looks like a place to revisit when the light is more dramatic. I like the sky/clouds. In my redo, I rotated the canvas 1.36 degrees CCW, based on the biggest chimney lines, cropped, adjusted levels, hue/sat, contrast up a bit and a small amount of USM. Finally, after previewing my post, I reduced noise with Noise Ninja with no sharpening added. Hope that your back mend quick:(.

Dan Brown,

http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/

Julie Kenward
08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Yours does have more pop, Dan...thanks! I was trying to achieve that but am pretty sure the medication might be fuzzying the brain a bit. Not that that's a BAD thing!!! :D;):D

Douglas Bolt
08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Try adjusting Levels to about 5 & 215, or better yet, Curves. Either should brighten up the image and make it even more dramatic.

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey Julie,
Nice placement of the house in the frame and Doug's re-post definitely adds a bit of pop. i like that you minimized the water to further emphasize the hills and house. ..............I'm playing the mega millions tonight so maybe I can afford one of those! I'm not sure i would like using a phone to call from one side of the house to the other though.
I do feel your pain though.....23 years of construction and 6 herniations..........never feel good. Meditation and beer work better than pills:D.

Julie Kenward
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree that meditation and beer work better than pills but at that moment I didn't have any beer so I had to do with the next best thing. :D;):) BTW, the back is doing much better today.

Ian McHenry
08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Jules
Just to say that while indeed Dan's image has more "Pop" I prefer the subtle tones of the original.
Seems more relaxing.
Cheers: Ian Mc