PDA

View Full Version : Washed Ashore

Paul Marcellini
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Went down to Key West for my buddy's B-day and stopped along the way for sunrise. This is a lobster trap I'm sure washed ashore in Tropical Storm Fay. I was having a tough time on comps and resorted to this pretty safe one. Might of had to do with the 2 a.m. wake-up. =)

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20, 10-22@16mm f13 1/8 + 1/2s blend iso100

Douglas Bolt
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks good to me! It is also a nice image cropped just above the trap. Like the pastel colors in the sky.

Bruce Murden
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
2am wakeup makes that 10am nap so much sweeter :)

When I look at the scene from this angle, I'm tempted to move around to camera left, and closer to the trap, to get more of the lit surface on the left of the trap. It also seems like it's not as well framed by the dark cloud reflection as it could be. Looks like a beautiful morning, though, and I like that you included the trap to tell a little story.

Gerald_Gilligan
08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
The composition works here and the title tells the story.

Great clouds and color in the sky...I wish that I could see a wider view.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Lovely image Paul. Liked the warm, golden reflection of light from the bottom half (especially from one side of the trap). The bottom half of the image is just perfect for my taste. Just wish the sky had some dramatic warm tones (+ some rich colours) to aid the beautiful clouds. Composition is indeed a 'safe' one - and a fine one ! :)

Robert Amoruso
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I think it works well Paul. Good quality to the light in this image.

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Paul,
As always..........you try and use strong FG elements in your images.......this is not the strongest or my favorite............but you have set the bar for yourself extremely high.........so on that note......technically or compositionally....nothing wrong with it.......sometimes getting up early doesn't reward us 100%........but still nice............just not over the top great..........which gives me an idea.........maybe........since the clouds are super.............you should have tried a Robert Amoruso seascape without the FG elements. Just something to explore next time when you don't have strong FG elements.

Noel Carboni
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
It's a shame you couldn't get much color in it...

JUST KIDDING! Beautyful!

I don't mind the crate in the image, but perhaps it should have been in a place where the light was shining, rather than in shadow.

-Noel

Paul Marcellini
08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. The clouds were moving real quick and my brain wasn't so I stuck to this lobster trap and kept pivoting around it. I have what I think is a better comp from earlier in the morning that I will put up next, but the light isn't as nice.

You win some, you lose some I guess.

Roman, I get caught up in trying to squeeze too many elements in to my shots I think and probably do need an empty beach to settle my mind a bit. I think i have fallen into a compositional routine that works but is getting boring, to me at least.