PDA

View Full Version : Peeking

Kaushik Balakumar
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Made this during a hike. Was using D70s as my secondary body with micro lens on. The noise aspect is pretty bad with this body. This image was a crop too - 50% of the original. Noise removal tools took their share of details away :(. I was about to throw it to trash but somehow liked the colours & the yellow framing the flower gave to this insect.
Would like to know your thoughts...

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/102119974/original.jpg

Nikon D70s + Nikkor 105mm VR micro
f/22, 1/200, ISO800, handheld

Bruce Murden
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Kaushik, I'm glad you saved this one. I agree with you that the colors are the subject here. I really like the play of bright green insect against the shades of yellow, and that color study, along with the good pose looking right into the lens make reason to keep this one. At this on-screen size, noise isn't an issue. If you could print this at about 5x7 inches (A5 or A6) it may be enough for a nice small display. The only thing that I think distracts from the insect is how bright the yellow BG is, with dark shaded yellow in FG. My eye tends to stay in the BG too much. Reducing the FG/BG contrast so the insect sings against all of the yellows may make a interesting pose and color study here just a bit better.

Julie Kenward
08-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I totally agree with Bruce. Although you lost some critical detail it is still a sweet, whimsical image. If the BG were reduced in intensity just a bit I think you'd have a fine looking bug print.

Gus Cobos
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Kaushik,
I like your composition and image as presented. The slightly lighter background does not bother me. Your bug is placed just right in frame; and I like his bold look...up front so that everybody can see him...:cool:

Joanna Trescott
08-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Love the colors and the composition. Can't believe how green he is! It looks like he is in a flower forest.

Ed Cordes
08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Excellent capture. I agree with the suggestions above. Still a great study in color with an interesting behavior.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Thank you all for the feedback.
I shall re-work on the BG.

Valerio Tarone
08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Thank you all for the feedback.
I shall re-work on the BG.

really lovely the combination of colours. The yellow Bg is nice with a good depth of field. You photo are very precise.

Ed Vatza
08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Kaushik,

To me this image is all about the green bug. Everything else is there to support it and does so very well. I like it!