PDA

View Full Version : Stalking Hawk

Glenda Simmons
08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I photographed this juvenile Coopers Hawk in my backyard, as he stalked the shrubs for a quick take-out dinner. I was crouched down low a short distance away and was able to get quite a few shots, of him on the roof of the house, then flying down into the yard strutting toward me; his head constantly scanning back and forth for any birds stupid enough to make a move. I tried to hold still, but this bird had to have heard the camera shutter and see me, especially with hawk eyes. But I assume that he was so focused on scoring his next meal, that he just really did not care about my presence. I believe I saw this same bird, going after a bird at the base of the bushes on another day. I was glad that he seemed to need work on his hunting skills, and flew off, with nothing in his sharp talons. I do have alot of bird feeders and realize every now and then I will sacrafice a few...all a part of nature...just as long as it's not one of my Bluebirds!!

This was taken with a Canon Rebel XTi with a 75-300 IS lens, hand held at a focal length of 200mm. ISO 400. Aperture Priority 5.6 with exposure time of 1/125, Partial metering mode. exp. comp.+2/3 in the late evening.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Wonderful pose and a great backyard bird. The dark/light line is distracting and it looks as if sharp focus is on the bird's left foot rather than on the bird's eye. Some selective sharpening of the face and upper breast would help. You might try a contrast mask: unsharp mask at 15/65/0.

Glenda Simmons
08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you for your comment and tips, Artie. I'm pretty new to all of this, especially the photoshop stuff. Would you just clone the light green background all the way up the picture? I did just get your # ll CD, but am still on the equipment chapter. I will be purchasing your reprint #1 book and would also like to get Mr. O'Tooles book. I know these resources will be a great help and this site has already taught me alot. I can use all the help I can get and appreciate any feedback. I love this site!!

Arthur Morris
08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Glenda,

re:

Thank you for your comment and tips, Artie.

YAW.

I'm pretty new to all of this, especially the photoshop stuff.

Heck, five years ago the word Photoshop scared the heck out of me...

Would you just clone the light green background all the way up the picture?

That is a tough one... It can be done, but you would need to protect the bird by selecting it and then selecting the inverse. Check out the Black-bellied Plover thread below for some interesting stuff...

I did just get your # ll CD, but am still on the equipment chapter.

<smile>

I will be purchasing your reprint #1 book and would also like to get Mr. O'Tooles book.

Much appreciated. I wish that I had them when I was getting started!!!

I know these resources will be a great help and this site has already taught me alot. I can use all the help I can get

Me too!

and appreciate any feedback. I love this site!

Me too. And I am always learning something. Thanks for your kind words.

Linda Robbins
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
How lucky you are to have this gorgeous bird visiting your yard! I think that there is a bit of motion blur evident in this image. Artie's contrast mask and selective sharpening tips will improve your nice image. It is disconcerting when predators take advantage of the birds attracted to our feeders. I feed whistling ducks under my birdfeeders, and every once in a while, a bobcat will hide in the bushes and ambush one. I feel badly that I have lured the ducks in with food and put them in harms way, but like you say - that is nature. The babcat must live too. Hopefully we'll get to see more of your images of this lovely hawk!

Linda

Arthur Morris
08-25-2008, 06:35 AM
What is a babcat????