PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Harbor Light

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
This lighthouse is N of Acadia NP and is a coast gaurd station. A dense fog was rolling in & in about 5 minutes...... the light was all but lost in it. Taken from a fishery parking lot (very aromatic) across the harbor with a long lens. Canon Mark 3 with the 100-400mm lens and 1.4 tele at 560mm, ISO 200 for 1/200 sec at f13. Croped slightly from top and bottom.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I know this one. I like the inclusion of the strip of water and sky to frame the image and see why you made the cropping decision.

I think a LCE at 30/50/0 would make this pop. I tried it and liked the results so I reposted it here. Of course this image works either way and it is up to the photographer to chose what works for his or her personal vision.

Roman, though not an issue here I commented on Hyperfocal Distance in Ian's posts and yours is a good example where a long focal length work well. The reason is that the Depth of Field that Roman's image requires fits within the Hyperfocal Distance on his set-up and the trees in the BG don't need to be sharp, just the FG and the lighthouse.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey Robert,
I played around with your recommendations...........do you feel it takes away too much from the fog???.............will be interesting to see what others think.

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey Robert,
I played around with your recommendations...........do you feel it takes away too much from the fog???.............will be interesting to see what others think.

That's the thing - do you want to cut out that much of the fog. I did it because I thought it made for a good topic of discussion.

Does it make the image better in the end? In this case I don't think so. It is a matter of interpretation and in this case what the image maker intended rules.

Paul Marcellini
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I like Robert's edit but maybe selectively. I would leave less contrast in the bottom of the image. I like how the lighthouse top pops a bit more though. Great comp though. I always try long lens landscapes but have a higher keeper rate with the W I D E angles. =)