PDA

View Full Version : Earthly Delight

Anita Rakestraw
08-24-2008, 04:14 AM
Another take on my mushroom from the horse pasture. Your critiques & comments will be much appreciated!

8-18-08, 7:35 p.m.
1DMkIII, 100 macro lens
1/1, f/32, ISO 400

Mike Moats
08-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Hey Anita, I think this is a great subject with some very interesting patterns for an abstract look. I would crop the upper right negative space and just show the shroom. If you can shoot this again I would also concentrate on tighter shots of the swirly areas in the top of this image and show less of the straight line stuff. Curve lines always look more interesting.

Aristotle Georgiou
08-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Great close up and interesting view you've taken, I like the composition, flowing lines and nice lighting.

Bill McCrystyn
08-24-2008, 10:40 AM
NIce shot - Giving a little artistic expression to a macro subject is refreshing. If you didn't go with Mike's idea, I would simply darken the negative space. Your shadow detail is good and the image holds interest. I like it.

Anita Rakestraw
08-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Mike, Aristotle, and Bill! Appreciate the comments, tips and suggestions. Seems my photos were taken on the last day that this shroom looked good; next day it wasn't photogenic anymore! :( But I do have quite a few images to work with and will continue to see what I can come up with.

Bill McCrystyn
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
One other little trick I learned in PS that I think might work on this shot is to go to selective color (black) and make a small adjustment (1-5 points) in the overall image. It can add a little drama - try it. I really like the shot, you don't need to take another one, just detail it a little.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Lovely patterns those gills of mushrooms have. This one's much sharper than your prev mushroom post.
I would second Mike's idea.

Julie Kenward
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
As soon as I saw the thumbnail I knew it was yours! It's really lovely as presented but Mike does have a point. If you could really zero in on the waviest section next time it would really make for a dramatic macro abstract. Really superb work, Anita!

Ed Cordes
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Anita, this is great! Mike suggestions are good. After all he is the master. However, this is well seen and recorded.

Anita Rakestraw
08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the tip, Bill, and for the comments/suggestions, Kaushik, Julie, & Ed. Yes, Mike's the macro/abstract man, I agree; I listen when he "speaks!" :D :D

Ed Vatza
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Excellent image, Anita. The flowing, undulating gills look beautiful here. And the complementary background should not be lost here either. Very nice.

Anita Rakestraw
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Thank you, Ed! Much appreciated!