PDA

View Full Version : Motif: High-key Common Nighthawk

Harold Davis
08-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Take one piece of advice from me. Forget the camera bodies!! buy the best dang lens you can afford!! i kicked myself continuously for about two hours this afternoon!!!! i was in a swarm of nighthawks. probably about sixty of them!! i didnt even know what they were at the time. heck, i thought they were killdeer.:o they fly like large martins. very erratic.

started with the bigma, just about threw it in the canal. no AF!! then switched to the 18-200VR. while not very fast, it is faster than the bigma. wishing i had the 70-200 2.8:(:( it's a fairly large crop, but i think it held up OK.

D300, 18-200VR at 200mm, f/6.3, 1/1600s, +0.7EV, ISO 640

thanks for looking and listening to the rant. comments and critiques are very much appreciated!!

Cheryl Flory
08-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I need to learn how to do these high key images, so I can't comment on that, but wow--great eye contact! and love that wing spread. how about a small frame around the image? or don't you do that with this type of image?

Harold Davis
08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
it's all about the bg sky. needs to be bright white. that's it!! just expose for the bird properly and you should have a high key image!! will give you a funky looking histogram, spiked all the way to the right, cause the sky is totally blown out!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Very nice H. Looks like you did well this afternoon.
Looking forward to see you tomorrow.
Regards,

Desmond Chan
08-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Take one piece of advice from me. Forget the camera bodies!! buy the best dang lens you can afford!! i kicked myself continuously for about two hours this afternoon!!!! i was in a swarm of nighthawks. probably about sixty of them!! i didnt even know what they were at the time. heck, i thought they were killdeer.:o they fly like large martins. very erratic.

So they are small, I guess?

started with the bigma, just about threw it in the canal. no AF!! That bad, eh? What focal length you were using with it?

then switched to the 18-200VR. while not very fast, it is faster than the bigma. wishing i had the 70-200 2.8:(:( it's a fairly large crop, but i think it held up OK.It did, Harold ! Good job !!

As an aside, personally I think high key images are those that don't contain full black, colors may look kind of washed, like looking through fog, soft and dreamy, like those posted by Al.

Gus Cobos
08-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Daktari,
You did well considering you changing lenses so quickly...:D:p;):) I always tell you guys that your eyes are always better than your bodies...:eek: Camera bodies come and go; lenses don't. Concentrate on buying the best glass possible and you do the rest...Its not the camera body; its the photographer behind the best glass that you can afford...:D:):cool: Anyway, You did very well, I like the image; you have sharp details and a good capture angle...:cool:

Lance Peters
08-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Fantastic MR H - the crop has stood up really well. Love the eye contact and the wing spread.
awesome

Harold Davis
08-24-2008, 06:24 AM
desmond, i'd say that their wingspan was about 8-10" wide. as far as the focal length, probably between 200-300mm on the bigma. just would not pick them up with the AF. i was even pre-focusing and it still just wouldnt cut it. i certainly gave it a shot. i tried 51, 21 and 9 point AF on the D300. 21 a little quicker, but not the answer.

thanks everyone for the comments!!

Harold Davis
08-24-2008, 07:46 AM
cornell says that the wingspan should be between 21-24". i sure didnt think they were that big, but i guess they could have! sure were fast!!

Katie Rupp
08-24-2008, 11:04 AM
The crop held up really well, Harold. Good detail and no HAP for this one!

Kristin Brown
08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I love it!
Kristin

Dave Slaughter
08-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Nice image, Harold. It's hard to get good flight shots and these guys move almost as fast as swallows.
I use the bigma's little brother, the 170-500 lens, a lot (I also use a canon 400mm f5.6). For those reading this post, and Harold, correct me if you disagree, I would have to say that these lenses are not crappy but do have limitations. They are slow, and the autofocus is slow, so they are best used for "bird on a branch" type of pictures in good light. Having said that, I've gotten some very sharp shots at 500 mm at about a seventh (or less) than the cost of a canon 500mm prime. Forget the flight shots with them, however.

Harold Davis
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
dave, you are absolutely 100% correct!!!!!!! i could not have said it better!!

Alfred Forns
08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Great point Harold !!!!! Glad you brought up the AF issue with those lenses !!!

Excellent example of a high key image !!!! Proud of you !!!!