PDA

View Full Version : Catch of the day

Jim Caldwell
01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Not my catch of the day, but the spider's! I discovered this little jumping spider on a fence post with a large green grasshopper. Regrets: I wasn't able to hold focus throughout the fencepost background.

Recipe: Take 1 Canon 1d Mk II N with a 100-400mm Canon lens and 48mm extension tube. Add an exposure of f/8.0 at 1/800 sec. and then a dash of fill from a 580ex flash at -2/3. Do not agitate the subject!!

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
.... shaken not stirred Excellent catch I like how well the spider looks Seems to have all under control Wish they were in a level surface the oof right is a bit distracting might crop some from the right I like this a lot !!!

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Man, who's got whom???? :eek:

Ambitious little fella, and good of you to catch them :)

Robert O'Toole
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi Jim,

Excellent! Great moment, comp and positioning of the subjects. I agree with Alfred too bad about the OOF areas looks like it was a pole. Too bad there is no field curvature DOF tool in Photoshop.

I love jumpers, they are amazing spiders! Super agressive, seemingly curious, and fearless. I have seen small jumpers attack and eat Lynx spiders much bigger than them.

Robert

Nicole Brooker
01-13-2008, 12:53 AM
That is a unique catch. The use of flash is not obvious which is great. I like Alfred's suggestion about cropping to remove some of the OOF parts.

Arjan van der Stelt
01-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Great catch from both the spider and photographer agree with the suggestions about the OOF parts......

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey Jim, very cool find and excellent details on the main subjects, and agree it would have been nice with more sharpness on the fence. A crop right at the edge of the shadows leg elbow will eliminate most of the OOF area.

Jim Caldwell
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Again, I appreciate the great comments. I tried a crop by cutting out part of the shadow of the grasshopper, which I was relunctant to do, but I think it actually works well that way and helps to disguise the fact that the rounded post on that side is slightly out of focus.