PDA

View Full Version : fir tree forest

Valerio Tarone
08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I made some photos intending to show the fir forest: is dark(also at midday), a plenty of musks, rocks. I've get all off cept this: the idea is not too bad: fg, two sticks who balance the composition. Or not??
f13 1/4 aperture priority matrix zoom 17-35mm at 35 (in digital 51mm)

Note: I 've dowloaded CS3 in proof for 30 days. but I'm not oriented in the new environment.. if anyone would help me.....

Johannes Glännman
08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Valerio...

I think you have a good idea of a dark forrest with a spot where the sun comes through...

I have some thoughts about the picture and the idea.

1. When the spot is on the mossy stone my eyes want to look there and because of that I think the sticks are insignificant. The sticks would be best either in the sunspot och not at all...

2. The sharpness. It is not the most important in dark forestpictures that the sharpness is on max, but here it is not enough.

3. The bright spots in the background. It is two bigger ones that I would clone away and I would also take away about 15mm of the left side of the picture to take away the bright zone in the upper left corner.

Cheers // Johannes

Douglas Bolt
08-23-2008, 05:05 PM
In CS3, I used curves to open up the image (Levels would have done the same thing) and then Select/Color Range/Shadows followed by Ctrl-J to make a separate layer. Blending mode on the new layer was set to Screen at about 25 % opacity.

Valerio, if you're like me, starting with CS3 can seem like a pretty big task. Let me share some unsolicited advice - search the Internet for "CS3 video" and watch some of the many videos on how to use PS. I know that not all people learn the same way, but I find that books on PS put me to sleep on about the second page. Videos work much better for me. Just one person's opinion.

Good luck with CS3. It is a fantastic program, but it sure does have a steep learning curve, at least it does for me.

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Valerio,
I agree with Johannes on his points........so I decided to take it into PS to see if I could address the issues. I brought the shadow up just a bit as the tree on the right is too black.........dark is OK........but a large black object quicly becomes overpowering. I did an agressive round of sharpening (not perfect.but it helped) and to my surprise........didn't bring up too much moise........finally......I fixed a few of the remaining brighter areas to not detract from the overall feel. For me this improves the overall image......but let me know what you think.

Grady Weed
08-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Definitelt the re-post open this one up for new possibilities. The original was way to dark and pointless. You have a good idea, i've wanted to do the same thing. I love moss or lichen covered rocks and trees. Please keep at it and posting. Respectfully posted. :)

Robert Amoruso
08-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Roman's crop strengthens the image well and PS work by Douglas opens up the image possibilities well. If you need help with workflow and getting better with PSCS3, I suggest you visit this thread http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5598 and think about Artie's Digital Basics or ABP II CD Book. Getting into a complete workflow in a critique is too lengthy a process.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Nice idea to capitalize on 'spot' lights in jungles. But this image seems to be having some camera shake. Personally, the composition does'nt seem to work for me...

Valerio Tarone
08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Kaushik I think you should deserve a longer talk: photography of nature should outline the beauty, but also a documentation task.or,a scientific interest (the study of nature).
Douglas:Yes exactly, the programs are bec0ming more complex I've developped idiosincrasy for the informations: often I proceed m a I see what happens.....!
Roman, I've been wating to think about I'sincere:the crop eliminates the hilights(good),but I prefer toosee more trees. Robert ,thank you I'm very slow in learnig the Arthur's lesson.The next week I'll see anelectronic engineer, also photographer, to read it together.

Valerio Tarone
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
a similar imaghe is in the website 'robertclaytonsphotography'