PDA

View Full Version : The Stalker

wendell westfall
08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Nikon D70s 70-200VR w/ 2.0X @ 400mm 1/320 f6.3 -2/3EV

I took this yesterday on an overcast morning. That feller kept me watching for an hour before it made a catch and backed out of the bushes with a small fish. In the meantime i got lots of images, but the ones with its catch were not distinct . . . the prey was entangled with too many weeds to be clearly recognizable. This image is only very slightly cropped. It was an overcast morning and I think my EV was probably wrong? I used some clarity and brightness and contrast in Lightroom, then sharpened the image and brightened the eye in Photoshop. All C&C is welcomed!

Wendell

Katie Rupp
08-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Wendell, I like the pose with the raised foot and your title is right on. It looks like there is a slight yellow? cast and I think it could use another round of selective sharpening on the heron. The background fits in with the action so I have no problem with the dof and I like the reflection although cropping it into a pano is another look you might try. Good capture!

wendell westfall
08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I implemented your two suggestions, Katie, and you were right on both counts. Thanks . . .

Wendell

Alfred Forns
08-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Great suggestions Katie

Wendell will only keep entire reflections if they are rock solid. Sure wish you could have made the image just sooner for showing the entire bill !!! I like it a lot, very sharp and well exposed !!!

Dave Slaughter
08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Agree with all the above. Very nice picture - I'll bet it was exciting watching him.

wendell westfall
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, Dave, but he stood motionless for so long that it was almost as though he was unconscious . . . or that he was looking at himself in an unseen mirror. I can't imagine a more patient and intent hunter than this guy was, though I've been told that trait is not uncommon in this species.