PDA

View Full Version : White-rumped S'piper, same bird different mood!

Melvin Grey
08-23-2008, 03:33 AM
This was the same bird featured in my previous posting. It was feeding in a shallow pool with a Semipalmated Sandpiper. They would feed in perfect harmony, both close together and apart , ranging over the whole area of the pool. Then suddenly the WrS would fly over to the Semip and a very fierce battle would ensue - as you can see. This would last for about a minute, mainly aggresive threat displays but sometimes violent contact. Then they would break apart and carry on feeding as if nothing had happened. The aggression was not triggered by close proximity as sometimes the WrS would fly several yards to engage the Semip. and, afterwards they would often feed virtually side by side.
In case you did not pick up from the previous posting, Art, the pool was below 'Miss Piggy', Churchill.
June 5th, 08
Camera Canon 1D Mk111. Exp 1/1250 @ f11, exp comp +1/3. Lens 500f4 IS plus 2x conv. Used on a Blubb on a frisbee!!

Axel Hildebrandt
08-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Very interesting behavior captured, thanks also for the explanation. Details, light and pose are great. I wouldn't mind if the rock in the BG were not there.

Alfred Forns
08-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi Melvin Without the rock you would have a big time winner here !!!! Love the water, pose and overall feel !!!! Really nice image !!!!

Maxis Gamez
08-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Very nice behavior and capture. True nature.

Arthur Morris
08-23-2008, 08:22 AM
With the rock you have a potential BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year honored image. Your angle to the action is perfect and the raised tail and white rump (not to mention the sharpness) all combine to make this a spectacular image.

Thanks for the Miss Piggy info. That that wrecked plane, no?

Wayne Richardson
08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Melvin

This is a stunning capture IMO & overides some of the obvious nits. Most of ID features for White-rumped are in view too. However, I would consider toning down the BG rock with some selective PS masking.

BTW I have doubts that the 'guy' underneath is a Semipalmated, given the pinkish base to lower mandible & suggest it is another White-rumped. ;) This would explain the agression displayed here, as most inter-specific disputes don't come to such serious blows.

Cheers: Wayne

Arthur Morris
08-23-2008, 12:07 PM
BTW I have doubts that the 'guy' underneath is a Semipalmated, given the pinkish base to lower mandible & suggest it is another White-rumped. ;) This would explain the agression displayed here, as most inter-specific disputes don't come to such serious blows. Wayne

Good point by Wayne. If you look at the other end of the bird there seems to be a white rump as well...