PDA

View Full Version : Gannet-Scape

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
This image was created with the Canon 15mm fish-eye lens and the EOS-!D MIII on a tripod with the tiny Giotto's ballhead (and a bubble level). If you put the horizon dead center, you eliminate the curvature. I did that here as the sky and the foreground were equally interesting (for me...)

ISO 400. Evaluative Metering +2/3 stop: 1/640 sec. at f/16.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

JP Bruce
08-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I really like this and agree foreground and sky both being interesting. I think the large bird in the sky makes the photo unique.

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Having the bird in the sky helps balance the image well. Agree the sky and land with the gannets are equally interesting. Good example when breaking a rule (i.e., don't place horizon in the middle works).

Good point on the fisheye for those that don't know that.

Thanks for posting this Artie.

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Artie,
I find the composition in this one very pleasing as the shoreline on the diagonal is very strong. I also agree that the sky, with or without the bird (althoug my preference is to keep the bird in the frame), is just as strong of an element in the overall image. I do have a question for you though..........did you try your linear burn method on the sky? I did try it and found that somewhere around 40% of opacity worked for me.........but you may want to explore a few with less or more.
Check it out for yourself,
Roman

Arthur Morris
08-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey Roman, I agree that the bird makes the image. I had never thought of doing the LB on the sky. If you saved what you did, I would love to see a repost.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi Artie,
Didn't save it ......but did another quick one. Only applied a linear burn on the sky .......set at 35% opacity. Blurred the mask to feather the edge. Here's the result. The sky now looks polarised and brought out a bit more depth in the clouds. Darker/lighter a bit to taste....(I liked from 20% all the way to 50%).... with just the opacity slider.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Thaks Bud! I would never have thought of that. It does look way more dramatic!