PDA

View Full Version : Genesis - In The Beginning

Gus Cobos
08-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Note: Image #4 of The Liquid Motion Collection.

Techs: This composition is an image overlay of two frames captured in RAW and then converted to JEPG. format; shot at four frames per second using a polarizing filter.

The image was painted with a Nikon D200, using a Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D macro lens with a 12mm extension tube.

Image solution: focal length @ 105mm / exposure mode @ aperture priority / 1/60sec. - f/18 / ISO @ 200 /
white balance @ cloudy / AF - mode @ auto - high speed continuous / metering mode @ in camera matrix metering / light solution - no speedlight; used ambiant light in combination with a 36" soft box placed from the top at a 90 degree angle; and two 22" silver disk reflectors angled from both sides. / exposure comp @ -0.7EV
tone comp @ +2 degrees / hue adjustment @ +2 degrees / saturation factor @ +2 degrees / support platform - tripod assist /

Comments greatly appreciated...:cool:

Noel Carboni
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Great timing, Gus.

If I were to be very picky, I'd say your post-processing has degraded the image slightly... Your sharpening seems a bit harsh, which I believe has caused several related defects... The bright parts (at the base of the stalk of water) are burned to white, and there are some distracting color artifacts where the gray meets the bright red/pink. Lastlly, there are some "crosshatch" marks in the smooth blue-gray background that are slightly distracting. It's quite possible all of these effects would be reduced with some reduction in your sharpening aggressiveness, and/or possibly different parameter choices when converting.

Just curious, are you using a CRT display, or LCD? I ask because generally speaking modern LCDs give more pixel-level crispness, and make it more difficult to overlook fine artifacts of processing.

I for one love high speed flash/stop-motion photography. I'd love to see more from you.

-Noel

Lance Peters
08-22-2008, 04:36 AM
HI Gus - love the concept of the image - but cant comment on two much other than that - I am away from home and the screen I am on must be on the fritz, seems to be showing a pattern throughout the picture.

:)

Harold Davis
08-22-2008, 04:40 AM
i see the posterization too. and looks like the light from the right may have been a touch too harsh. i do like the compo and the colors are real nice too!!

Oscar Zangroniz
08-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Great composition and colors, do agree that the image is a bit over saturrated.
Regards,

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Gus,
I can't comment on the technical aspects but I do love the effect you have created. Although I love the colours I think I agree with Oscar that they may be a little over-saturated - I think that this would look dreamy and gorgeous with watery washed-out colours. As always you are so creative!
Regards,
Nicki

Julie Kenward
08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I applaud your creativity but think Noel is right...post processing seems to have taken away from some of the original beauty of the image. I'd go back to the original and make the changes incrementally and see if you can't discern a better stopping place.

Alfred Forns
08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Noel is right on with his critique !!!!!!

The basic image is amazing and might be the most appealing from the series Gus !!! Would rework from scratch Well worth the effort !!! Big Time Congrats !!!