PDA

View Full Version : South Miami area sat and Sun

Gavin Spooner
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
All:

I will be in the South Miami (Kendall) area Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. Being a west coaster (Naples) i have not shot in that area before, and know its probably pretty quiet at this time of year.

I was hoping for some good tips for maybe some Snail Kite locations? Anything else? I'll look at my south Florida birding trail tomorrow too.

cheers
Gavin

Judd Patterson
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Gavin, glad you'll be over on the east side of the state for a change. Yes, things are very quiet in the South Miami area. You have a chance at seeing some photographable Snail Kites if you visit the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (1hr+ north) where several Snail Kites broods were successful this year. There are kites in the Everglades, but you are unlikely to come across any up close unless you takes an air boat tour out into one of the Water Managagment Units along Tamiami Trail...some of the guides are willing to take out photographers for specic species like that.

Otherwise, closer to South Miami, I might recommend spending some time out on Key Biscayne and the various beaches where you'll likely find some shorebirds, terns, and skimmers. Crandon Gardens is out there too if you want to mix in some exotic ducks and fowl.

Other than that you could head up to Wakodahatchee or Green Cay where the action has stayed decent through the summer. I personally have been exploring some of the smaller Miami-Dade parks that have hardwood hammock and some of our cool natives like the Liguus tree snail. Good luck with your trip and I hope you find some good subjects for photography!

Michael Pancier
08-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Gavin, glad you'll be over on the east side of the state for a change. Yes, things are very quiet in the South Miami area. You have a chance at seeing some photographable Snail Kites if you visit the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (1hr+ north) where several Snail Kites broods were successful this year. There are kites in the Everglades, but you are unlikely to come across any up close unless you takes an air boat tour out into one of the Water Managagment Units along Tamiami Trail...some of the guides are willing to take out photographers for specic species like that.

Otherwise, closer to South Miami, I might recommend spending some time out on Key Biscayne and the various beaches where you'll likely find some shorebirds, terns, and skimmers. Crandon Gardens is out there too if you want to mix in some exotic ducks and fowl.

Other than that you could head up to Wakodahatchee or Green Cay where the action has stayed decent through the summer. I personally have been exploring some of the smaller Miami-Dade parks that have hardwood hammock and some of our cool natives like the Liguus tree snail. Good luck with your trip and I hope you find some good subjects for photography!

Judd know if any particular air boat guides who will take you out to photograph the difference species out there?

Judd Patterson
08-23-2008, 05:42 PM
A friend of mine said he used a particular guide, but I've forgotten the name. Let me try to find out!