PDA

View Full Version : Oceanscape

Rene Quenneville
08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Even though the background is foggy, I like the mood of this late morning picture taken on the Bonaventure island, on the road to the gannetery. Please let me know what you think.

1/1000
f/8 +2/3 EV
32 mm Nikkor 18-200 VR
400 ISO

Judd Patterson
08-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Rene, this is a fine scene and I think the foggy background is perfect for this shot...if it had been clear it would have been too uncharacteristic for this region! My main thought is a potential crop with less sky and without those conifers on the left...here is my suggestion in a repost with a slight punch to the greens too. Just a thought. Very peaceful scene.
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/repost1.jpg

Noel Carboni
08-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Things I like about this image:

1. It has presence. I can almost smell the greenery and the sea.
2. There's a color simplicity to it that's appealing.
3. I like the hint of stuff off in the distance in the mist.
4. Everything feels nice and straight.

Judd's crop tends to balance the image, though frankly I liked seeing those trees out on the right, and I miss them in the crop. It takes away a little of the nature and focuses just a bit more on the houses, which may not be what you want. I also like seeing that whole big cloud at the top.

What I might suggest in addition is to color balance it some away from yellow-green and more to blue. The yellow-green color is a bit strong.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
I agree with Noel's assessment of the image. And I like the original crop as it maintains more of the nature-feel to the image which I believe is the point of Rene's image. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Rene,
I too like the mood and look of the original crop. Judd's does bring focus to the buildings but for me takes a bit too much of the clouds. I did a bit of darkening of the sky........at about only 10% strength.....it was OK............ so you may want to try it for yourself and decide if it detracts from the mood too much.