PDA

View Full Version : Village of Percé with Bonaventure island in background

joel quenneville
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
This image was taken from the top of a high hill overlooking the village and the ocean. I shot three exposures and blended them in Photomatix Pro.

All comments appreciated.

1/125s
f/18
Nikkor 18-70mm @50mm
ISO 200
Nikon D70s

Noel Carboni
08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Overall it's a very nice and interesting composition.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Photomatrix or the method you used to blend the images somehow left a slight unnatural feel to the image. I'm not sure what it is; perhaps the light parts of the buildings want to be brighter. I'll be interested to hear whether others get this feeling.

Oh, and don't forget to clone out the dust in the sky.

Love the colors in this, especialy in the water, Bonaventure island, and the sky.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2008, 07:05 AM
I am OK with the HDR work here. When using HDR on these types of nature scenes, detailed shadows that we normally, as photographers, know would be black will make us feel the scene is unnatural, but standing there, your eyes can take in this scene and its contrast range. Noel, that might be what you are feeling - that expectation of not seen this much tonal range.

I like the composition and the position of the road to lead us into the scenic town and picturesque vista. I was debating the sky and if it needed to be cropped more. I tried it and feel that the crop as presented works well for this image since the expansive sky enhances the vista-feel of the image. And with the wispy clouds at the top it is not uninteresting so I am OK with the crop.

Nice work Joel.

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Joel,
I am fine with the colors and HDR work also. I love the strong leading line of the road and the distant buildings and the placement of the rock/island in the frame..........I think the exposure and everything else is right on..........this just didn't seem to grab me. I went for a pretty aggresive crop....fell it strenghthend but still not sure. Just an idea.