PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Rock to Boanventure...

Arthur Morris
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
This is a five-frame stitched panorama. Images created with the Canon 24-105 mm IS zoom lens at 92 mm handheld. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/25 sec. at f/4.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
The inclusion of the rock on right balances the image well. Top to bottom crop just right to capture the most interesting part of the sky and the water is just enough to demonstrate its tonality and some reflection from the sky but not overpower the image with a large FG presence.

I might try cloning out the pier (I think that's what it is) on the left Artie.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Robert. I thought that I would clone out the pier at first but as I worked on the image I decided that it was important to the image; you leave the pier to get to the gannetry on Bonavanture (the island on the right frame edge).

Robert Amoruso
08-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Artie,

I was debating on the pier as well when I made my comments. Leaving it in ties the left side of the frame to the island like the right side land does so in that way the image is better balanced. When I made my comment I thought of this but didn't mention it. I almost said, if you clone the pier, you may try cropping the left side right to the island to balance/mimic the right side.

Dave Mills
08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Artie, Your amazing! 5 frames...handheld at 1/25 of a second! Wish I was that steady!

I agree about taking out the pier on the left. Nice image.

Arthur Morris
08-24-2008, 07:36 AM
With the shorter IS (and VR) lenses some folks can make sharp images at one-half second!

David Kennedy
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Nicely done, Artie. You certainly seem to have gotten the hang of stitching, although I would probably disagree with your description of stitching as a "snap" in your latest bulletin. That's what I thought at one point, and then got careless, and made images for a scene that were unstitchable. I was kicking myself for a long, long time.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks David. 99.99% of what I know about stitching you taught me!