PDA

View Full Version : Gannet Blur

Arthur Morris
08-21-2008, 07:10 PM
From my recent trip back to Bonaventure Island (Perce, Quebec) with Chris Dodds and a group.

Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens with the EOS-1D MIII handheld. ISO 50. Evaulative metering +1 stop off the Gulf of St. Lawrence: 1/30 sec. at f/13.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Dan Brown
08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow! Pretty much a masterpiece Mr. Morris! How did you get the eye to be so prominent amongst all that blur? I would like to see a little more canvas on the left though.;)

Arthur Morris
08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow! Pretty much a masterpiece Mr. Morris! How did you get the eye to be so prominent amongst all that blur? I would like to see a little more canvas on the left though.;)

Hi Dan, The eye was pretty darned sharp but way dark so I did my usual Eye Dr. magic by darkening the pupil and lightening the iris. There was a big bill-motion blur around the bill that I eliminated by using the protect and defend clone method described in Digital Basics. See the ORIG above. (I was actually surprised at how sharp the eye was after the first step of simply lightening the face.)

With the bird angling to my right I like it tight on the left.

Dave Phillips
08-21-2008, 08:05 PM
love this blur.....IMO, the eye may be a wee bit too bright, almost has a sinister look
Nice work on the bill
All the images from Bonaventure Island have been a pleasure to view

Julie Kenward
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I, too, couldn't believe the eye could be that sharp when the rest is so obviously blurred. Nice work! What I really love, though, is that silky BG. Mmm, mmm, that's sweet.

And, despite the angle of the bird, I wouldn't mind seeing a hare more on the left side, too. With his wing bent at that angle it looks like he's trying to get it into the frame!

Beautiful work as always, Artie.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
And, despite the angle of the bird, I wouldn't mind seeing a hare more on the left side, too.

Hi Julie,

I do not think that there is room for another rabbit to our left of the bird... :D

Julie Kenward
08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Oh no! My bad!!! And me, a proofreader!!!

In my defense, I've been down with a stomach bug for two days. I am feeling a "hair" better now...

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey Julie, I can bairly believe your excuse. Hope that you are feeling all better soon.

Markus Jais
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Julie,

I do not think that there is room for another rabbit to our left of the bird... :D

well, a rabit in the shot might be interesting. think of a possible title: "Rabbit attacking large seabird in midair" :)

this is a wonderful image. I like the blur. I agree with some other comments about a little more canvas on the left.

Markus

Alfred Forns
08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
One of your finest blurs Artie !!!!

With these kind I don't mind the wing being tight in that it diffuses Would like seeing a little more of the blue as in the second post !!

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Alfred. I toned down the blue for a more sinister look...