PDA

View Full Version : Motmot

Tom Palmer
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Costa Rica, D450, 70-200 f/4 IS USM<O:p</O:p
Hand held, natural light, early morning, f/4, 1/100, IOS 400 <O:p</O:p
I was sleeping when this Motmot perched in a tree outside our bedroom window and woke us with its call. Fortunately the bird stayed put while I put my camera together. It was so close I needed to back off the zoom to 155mm. The bedroom was an excellent blind!<O:p</O:p

Arthur Morris
08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
A nice bird and relatively sharp but the rather cluttered BKGR and esp the extra branch in the middle all detract.

Doug Brown
08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Artie mentioned the BG clutter. To that I'll add that a slight head turn away from the viewer would help. Thanks for posting!

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Tom!
I am a Tico and know this species well, you did fine here. If I were you, and since it looks like you have a nice green area around your house, I would set up a sort of feeder, may be you could get more birds coming which means more photography opportunities. I am sure that where you live there are tons of birds since you are in an area close to the mountains and coffee plantations, keep them coming.

Greg Basco
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Tom, ditto the comments so far, and I think Juan Carlos is right on that you seem to have a good potential for setting up some feeders with nice perches. Just ensure that you have a good distance between the feeder and the background so you can get a nice sharp bird with an out of focus green background. These guys love plantains, nearly overripe. If you ever want to come visit my house, just give me a call.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Tom Palmer
08-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Juan Carlos, Greg, thanks for the advice, I hope to meet you both sometime. We are moving next week to San Buenaventura, a small town about 10 miles NW of La Ensenda Lodge. I plan to expand my bird photography there.

Tom

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Juan Carlos, Greg, thanks for the advice, I hope to meet you both sometime. We are moving next week to San Buenaventura, a small town about 10 miles NW of La Ensenda Lodge. I plan to expand my bird photography there.

Tom
Wow, it sounds like you are going to have even more fun! good for you!
Yes, I also would like to meet you sometime. Let's keep in touch.:D