PDA

View Full Version : My Tiny Critter Shot

Mike Moats
08-21-2008, 05:37 AM
I don't usually shoot tiny critters but this guy was in the way as I was shooting in a tall grassy field looking for abstract. So I thought, he's there, so why not. Don't know the ID on this fly, so help me out if you can.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, f/5.6

I would like to invite you all to a new blog, Macro & More. I am working with good friend, and excellent photograspher Jack Graham that will cover marco and more topics and tips. www.macroandmore.com (http://www.macroandmore.com/)

Mike Fuhr
08-21-2008, 05:48 AM
I like this shot a lot. I'm wondering if this is one of the many species of native bee we have here in the U.S. -- there are literally thousands of species and most of what we read about focuses on the non-native honey bee.

Mike Moats
08-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Hey Mike, he does look kinda like a bee.

Julie Kenward
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Very nice image Mike...and he does look more like a bee than a fly. I can't make an I.D. on it but it's close to an American Sand Wasp (markings on the top are the same but the sand wasp doesn't have the white underside.) Can't wait to see if anyone else can I.D. it!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I reckon it is a hoverfly and most likely a male (their eyes often almost touch on the top of the head they are so large - less so with the females) but I don't know the species.
Very nice clean looking image, the droplets just add that little bit of something.
Jon

Joanna Trescott
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Mike: Looks like it is off to a race! Really nice shot. Love the water droplets and the smooth background.

Aristotle Georgiou
08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Very nice Mike, great composition, detail, BG is superb and droplets add to this image.
Well done.

Arthur Morris
08-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Hye Mike, Quite lovely, esp. the BKGR. You might try a crop from the bottom so that the stem enters the frame precisely from from the lrc.

Keith Kennedy
08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Mike,

Nice image! By the way, It is a syrphid fly. These flies are often referred to as 'flower flies' or 'hover flies'. Most of the species in this family are 'bee mimics'; the adults feed on nectar and pollen while the syphid larvae are predaceous on soft bodied insects such as aphids.

Keith

Ed Vatza
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Walkin' the plank, Mike. Love the background and composition. The droplets add a nice touch. Personally I think it could stand a little cropping to have the fly occupy a little more of the frame while still keeping the droplets, etc.