PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber tripods, sunlight and UV radiation

Ed Okie
01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Reading my car-guy magazine AutoWeek, the Corvette ZR1, "...loads of unpainted carbon fiber distinguish the ZR1 ... because ultraviolet light degrades unpainted carbon fiber, GM bought a $60,000 per gallon UV-blocking clear-coat additive that's used in the circuit-board industry."
Can the same thing happen to carbon fiber tripods? Neither Gitzo, Feisol nor any other brand mention this aspect. Will accumulated UV exposure eventually cause the unthinkable? (a tripod breaking is one thing... the equipment on top is the $$$ real concern!) I live in Florida and sunshine is pervasive. I'm reluctant to give up my (aluminum) Gitzo Studex 1320

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Ed I would not concern myself with the UV damage for the carbon Concern yourself with the UV damage to your skin Tripod can be replaced !!!

I had one go down Sent to Gitzo and was fixed In the repair It was listed all sort of abuses Sand, sun, water, impact, abrasion etc. I think the biggest damaging factor will be saltwater/sand The legs came out from top section

At the same time Robert O'toole had his leg fall off in the same manner ..... so did one of the IPT participants !!! Three in one day Haven't seen that happen prior/after !!! btw Robert's could not be fixed !!!

If you immerse the tripod in water there is something you can do !!!! Soon there will be on the market some sleeves that cover the legs I have been testing them and like them a lot I think a couple of improvements are being made then marketing !!!!