PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Seal

Markus Jais
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
http://markusjaisphoto.com/images/harbor_seal800.jpg

Helgoland, Germany
EOS 40D, EF 4/500L + 1.4x, Tripod, ISO 200, 1/1.600, f6.3

There were several Harbor Seals and Grey Seals at this beach but they were often close together, so it was hard to get a single animal alone in the frame. With this one, I was lucky.

I have several similar shots, but here I like the waves in the BG best.

Markus

Jasper Doest
08-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Nicely placed in its environment Markus......It isn't that easy to make a nice composition with a seal...as they're long and flat and leave a lot of empty space in the frame....which often results in very boring seal photographs. The eyecontact and the wave however help saving this one from being boring.

Markus Jais
08-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Nicely placed in its environment Markus......It isn't that easy to make a nice composition with a seal...as they're long and flat and leave a lot of empty space in the frame....which often results in very boring seal photographs. The eyecontact and the wave however help saving this one from being boring.

thanks for your comment. I have several where the seal is not looking at the camera and the waves are smaller and those shots are indeed nothing but boring.
BTW: I just saw some seal shots on your website. They are fantastic.

Markus

Jasper Doest
08-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Hi Markus,...I'd like to add that you might want to take off a bit off the bottom as the little wave at the bottom is slightly distracting.

Robert Amoruso
08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Agree with Jasper that losing the small wave at the bottom will greatly enhance this composition. Well done making a good looking - interesting image of this seal.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Nice image. I agree with the previous posters regarding cropping the small wave at the bottom.

Georgina Salup
08-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Awesome shot. I like the waves in the back and the seal position