PDA

View Full Version : Katy Did It

Julie Kenward
08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes, I know...what I was doing at f3.5 in the middle of a botanical garden is beyond me. I must have turned the aperture button in the wrong direction,spotted this katydid staring at me, and the rest is idiot photographer history.

However...it is, without a doubt, one of the coolest insect images I've ever taken so I'm going to show it off any way. Dig that eye contact and the lovely head angle and try to forget that his entire back half is out of focus.:D;):D

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f/3.5 @ 1/100th, ISO 100
AWB, center weighted metering
Handheld, natural light (or lack thereof)

Sharna Lee
08-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Jules,
Love the eye contact here. Except that I really hate grasshoppers. Especially the big green ones. *shutters*
The OOF rear doesn't bother me much. I think it adds a nice touch to this picture.
Thanks for sharing.

Sharna

Gus Cobos
08-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Julie,
I like the composition, image, and the exposure. The out of focus body is ok. due to your depth of field. The most important factor is that the focal point is on the head. You did good...I like the black background; it really makes this little guy pop...congrats...:cool:

Bill McCrystyn
08-19-2008, 11:27 PM
It's like selective focus. The lighting makes the shot, what's new huh? The OOF body becomes in-consequential with all the focus point on the head and that wierd little antenni. If the body had of been in focus it would have ruined the shot. You might try cropping hard from the left to better postion the critter and lose the OOF leg right about where it meets the branch. Add canvas to the right to balance. I love it.

Mike Moats
08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Hey Jules, if you intended to shoot it with a wide open soft feel than you did a great job. Most of the time we see the critter in total focus, but it doesn't hurt to have a different perspective once in a while, so I think it works fine. I would like to see the little guy off center to the left more.

Ed Vatza
08-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Nice capture, Jules. Color looks great. Perch and background are very nice. I think the eye really makes this image... even wide open. :D I do agree with Mike on shifting a bit to the left. The antennae, which look great by the way, look clipped.

Julie Kenward
08-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Here's a repost. I went ahead and darkened down the backside of the bug and moved him further left in the frame to get him out of center.

Bill McCrystyn
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Walla - Good stuff. I like this little guy.

Mike Moats
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Jules, I like this one much better.

Bruce Murden
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Great accident. It gives more of a portrait look, and has this critter coming out of the page more (which probably bothers Sharna even more!).

Joanna Trescott
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
The repost is even better. What is the "thing" coming out of the mouth -- it is so sharp!

Sharna Lee
08-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Good job. Now I'll have trouble sleeping Jules. Thanks! ;)

Sharna

PS the repost is much sharper.