PDA

View Full Version : Meadow Brown Butterfly on Thistle

Frank Clark
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
This was taken on my Canon G9 at f5.6 and 1/320 on an overcast day.
I have boosted contrast and slightly increased saturation as well as some sharpening in PSE5.
I carry the G9 in my pocket when I walk my dogs and Meadow Browns are very common in most parts of the UK.
Looking forward to some C and C.
Thank you,
Frank Clark

Gus Cobos
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Frank,
I like the image, the exposure is good showing sharp details and deep rich colors. The perch compliments your subject very well. I would recommend you adding canvas to the left of the frame and on the top; to give this little guy some breathing space...:D:cool:

Ed Vatza
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
The butterfly and flower looks good to me although a little more dof would have helped the butterfly's wing look a little sharper. But no doubt at the cost of busying up the background even more. Also I agree on the need for more space at the top and left.

Julie Kenward
08-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Frank, I like the butterfly part of the photo but am having some trouble with the rest. The thistle looks pretty over exposed with quite a few hot spots on the top of the plant. The BG wouldn't be bad if it were all like the top area - with the grass nice and subdued but the lower part is so brightly yellow that it pulls my eye away from what should be the main focus of the image.

I agree with Gus that it feels tight in the composition - leaving a little more room on the top next time would really help.

Mike Moats
08-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Hey Frank, the B-Fly and perch look fine but I'd like it more if the BG was a little softer. Not sure if you did this, but try bracketing your f-stops and than see what works best when you get home. Maybe a wider f-stop would have help the BG and still maintain enough subject focus.