PDA

View Full Version : Fill flash with 1d mk III and dg500 super

Kenn Christensen
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Ive been trying to get some decent pix of hummingbirds in my yard...
the conditions are not great... I get direct sun sometimes... but mostly filtered through oak and pine.. Ive tried captures in natural light and the high ISO has heart my quality too much... or else its poor exposure combined with high ISO... but the exposure range is so diverse that I actually blow out both sides (dark and light)... so I though Id try flash... anyway my details are below.... but Ive been trying to figure out how to use "fill" flash.. Ive heard a lot about it... on this forum and others... but its taken for granted I guess that everyone knows how to use it... me.. Ive been suffering for too long with just natural light... Im not bad at getting all I can out of that.. but I admit its not the total answer.... and I need to step up a bit for better pix....
any help with this newbie question would be welcome...
thanks

using the 1d MkIII
fp setting on dg500
tv mode set to 1/800
light conditions vary... mostly what Id call filtered light through pines
subject range is close as I can get for min fl, about 6 feet
with natural light the ISO has been two high for my taste...
thought Id try flash... I have the better beamer but have never used it with the 1d MkIII (till now)... had to set the flash to -3 just to keep from blowing out... I think maybe the range is so close I should just use regular flash.. the beamer is a flash extender and Im well within normal flash range...
I just want enough flash power to highlight shaded details and freeze a bit of wing action of the hummer....

Kenn Christensen
08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
maybe I should approach this differently.. guess I will investigate to see how to set flash up to get hummingbird shots.... Ive not been having much success on my own... I know I just have the ol boring ruby throats around.. still I was hoping to get a nice shot just for my personal education.. but so far many shutter clicks and no luck.... if anyone has an idea.. dont be shy