PDA

View Full Version : Butter-and-eggs #3

Ed Vatza
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Image made yesterday morning at Jacobsburg State Park (PA). I had several opportunities to make Butter-and-egg images over the past couple of weeks. So I was passing them up yesterday until I came across this one. The backlighting (filtered through trees) caught my attention and I really liked the play between the backlighting and the shadows. Then I noticed the dew still on the petals and just had to stop and make some images.

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens with Sigma 1.4x TC; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox; tripod-mounted with Novoflex Focusing Rail

1/160 sec @ f/16; ISO 800; 0 EV; FEC -1; Focal length 210mm (35mm equivalent 336mm)

Julie Kenward
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
And thank your lucky stars you did stop because, honestly Ed, this is the best one of the bunch! It's really perfection. Great comp. Wonderful lighting - whites are crisp but in check. The detail is superb and the black BG truly sets the whole thing off. It's fabulous!

Joanna Trescott
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I've never seen a butter and eggs look better and I think the background really sets it apart! Great job!

Ed Vatza
08-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks Jules. Thanks Joanna. I appreciate the feedback and am glad that you like the image. I find that I am spending more and more time looking for a subject that speaks to me. I can't tell you how many of these plants I passed by. They lined much the trail I was on up in the meadow. Then this one just jumped out at me. The backlight did it. As I said, it was filtering down through a tree and I only had a couple of minutes before I lost the light.

Mike Moats
08-19-2008, 05:52 AM
Hey Ed, good comp and details, I have three monitors and the one I'm on right now is slightly off, so the whites look a little blown, but the others say its right on, so I'll take there word for it.