PDA

View Full Version : Wood Nymph

Joanna Trescott
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
This uncommon little flower is located in shady, mossy subalpine, areas. It is about 1/4" wide. The wood nymph has a lily of the valley fragrence.

Canon 20D with a Canon 100mm lens. 1/13 sec. @ F10 (to blur busy pine needle background), ISO 400 and -1/3 EV. Tripod mounted, mirror lockup and a little golden light reflected on it. I did some burning to calm the background.

Julie Kenward
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Beautiful, beautiful job, Joanna! The flower is so perfect but you really took the extra steps to get a great BG as well. It all works perfectly together!

I think fill flash might have given you even more color and detail in the underside of the flower but it's really lovely as presented.

Ed Vatza
08-19-2008, 05:05 AM
Very nice Joanna. It all starts with an interesting subject and you have one here. I agree that a little fill would help but I like the detail and the background turned out very nice. Sometimes it is just a case of finding that happy medium where you get detail and background you desire.

Mike Moats
08-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Hey Joanna, I like it, good comp, details and nice soft BG. I never use flash, but you can add some fill light to the flower with a reflector, I carry a silver/gold reflector that does the trick when a little extra light is needed.

Joanna Trescott
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your kind remarks, I do use a reflector (from smoked salmon packaging) that has gold/silver sides. However, there was so little light that this is all I could muster! I haven't mastered the fill flash yet, but hope to work on it when I go mushroom shooting soon.