PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Kookaburra

Scott White
08-18-2008, 04:03 AM
The humble old Laughing Kookaburra, a fairly common bird in Australia.

This image was taken not long before sunset. You can see it's belly feathers are still very wet from a dive to catch something in the creek below the branch. It was fairly comfortable with our presence and commenced preening and drying off whilst we approached.

Canon 350D, 400mm, F5.6, hand-held, almost full-frame (minor crop for composition only)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/jwedd/Images/IMG_5168_080818w7s.jpg

Tony Whitehead
08-18-2008, 04:53 AM
Good shot, Scott. Lovely light and nice sharp eye. You have really captured the "smile" and character beautifully. Slightly higher shooting position would be nicer. Keep them coming.

Joe Senzatimore
08-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Very simple , clean and well done.

Doug Brown
08-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Scott! I never noticed the 'smile' before! I like this as presented, although I might add a bit of room on the right. Thanks for posting!

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Love the wonderful pose and SMILE Scott. These are such interesting birds and your capture really brings this out. Many thanks for sharing.

Scott White
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Good shot, Scott. Lovely light and nice sharp eye. You have really captured the "smile" and character beautifully. Slightly higher shooting position would be nicer. Keep them coming.

Yes, unfortunately he was perched up a tree over a creek feeding from the creek, but I hope to go back to the area and catch them at lower angles on various other perches and hopefully even in flight. They seem to be regulars in that particular area of the park each evening.