PDA

View Full Version : A Little Piece of Heaven

James Galletto
08-17-2008, 09:30 PM
One of my favorite places in the world Sandy Stream Pond Baxter State Park Maine.

Canon 1DmkIII 24-70 2.8 @ 24mm, 1/100 @ f10 AV Iso 800, Hand held.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi James,
I like the way you used the FG rocks in the water to break up the mirror image reflection. The mid frame ones are a bit busy with all the merges but I'm not sure you would have been able to achieve total seperation among them. They also do look a bit soft on my monitor which may be from the shallow dof or your focusing point was a bit off. Either way, this image could have benefitted in the field from my favorite........the grad ND filter and maybe even a polariser.....but that choice would have slowed you down even more. A tripod is always recommended whenever possible. Judging the sky though.......you will be able to save it by multiplying a layer on just the sky and mtns.......darkening them a bit and adding some punch at the same time.
I can see why this is one of your favorite places.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2008, 12:00 PM
James,

I believe that I have stood in this very spot. This well executed image brings back a lot of memories.

I would like to see everything except the sky lightened up. Easily done with a curves adjustment and them masking out the sky from the affect.

Valerio Tarone
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi James
a perfect partition of the landscape:the rule of thirds. I like the reflection in Fg.

Paul Marcellini
08-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Hope you don't mind but I took a stab at it. Brightened the foreground with curves. I selected the sky with color range, and then multiplied it. Then hit it with a tad of brightness/contrast. I loved the comp so I figured I would bring out the best of it. I loved the light on the mountains.

Joanna Trescott
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
So much more detail in the repost. Beautiful serene scene. Now a question ...does the tree not being fully in the picture take your eye out of the scene? Also, what are your thoughts on how to compose mountains where the peaks rise and fall? Thanks, Joanna

Gus Cobos
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Great capture and composition James; and killer repost by Paul...good work guys. keep them coming...:cool: