PDA

View Full Version : What's in & what's out?

Douglas Bolt
08-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Canon 30D, 24x105 @ 28, f4, 1/40, ISO 500, -.33, ff, hh. PP included a little extra saturation to the yellows and cyans, some burning to the rock and to the flare in the upper right, and a little selective sharpening to the bushes and to the log that is above water. I added a soft light blending layer at ~25% opacity and curves for punch.

This reflection was along trail at Jiuzhaigou Falls, China. The park is a fantastic place with waterfalls everywhere. Regarding the image, I'm not sure myself what features are under water and what are above. Most are submerged or reflections. The pic was taken at mid-day, but under a bit of haze.

added: After studying the image, I'm pretty sure I must have used a Singh Ray CP on the lens.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi Douglas,
This is interesting. The concept I like very much and the exposure is pretty good also. The colors seem a bit off.....but not that big a deal and easily corrected. I was originally debating all the branches coming into the frame........but found that they were grounding me in the image and gave a sense of the place to it.........so the only thing left was the rock.............or more appropriately.....1/2 of the rock. I found that when I scrolled with the browser and eliminated it with a crop..........I liked the image even more as the rock was not drawing my eye from the happenings under the water. I may tone down the little twig sticking up in the mtn reflection a touch more........but nicely seen and composed overall.

Douglas Bolt
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Roman. And, thanks for the comments. I've uploaded an "unmolested" version of the image, should you wish to work on the colors.

I composed the rock in the image to provide a foundation to the image, but following your comments and looking at a version cropped as you suggested, I tend to agree with you. The cropped version places the log in a more pleasing location at the bottom of the image, it seems to me.

Thanks for taking the time to analyze the image.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Saw this one this morning but did not have time to comment. I see Roman picked up on the two things that bother me about the image - the rock and the one branch sticking up out of the water in the mountain reflection.

Given these two minor things, I think this is one cool looking image that makes you look at it closely - a real visual puzzle.

I think Roman's suggest on cropping the rock out is 100% correct - I tried it and it enhances the image's strength.

I suggest cloning out the offending branch.

Excellent work Doug with this well scene image.

Douglas Bolt
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Robert. I certainly agree on the suggestion to crop out the rock, but I'm not convinced about the stick. Cropping would make a more restful image, but I think the stick coming out of a mountain is one of the things that makes me go, "What the.... is going on here!" I'll try it both ways and see for myself.

Thanks for the looking and for taking time to make suggestions.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Douglas,
I'm in a bit of a rush right now.....but the re-post went with everything you did and even further. From local contrast adjustment.....USM amount 40.....raius 60.....threshold 0........plus an agressive black levels adjustment (curves would have worked also in PP).......but a polariser in the field would have given this result. If I get more time tomorrow........I will cover the whole thing. I tried toning down the tip.........removal did a beter job as the under water part is still cool!
Let me know what you think.
PS After i posted........Just crop your original post..........and do a little color balance............add blue........should get you to my version. Gotta go!

Paul Marcellini
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I think Roman got it covered. A very interesting photo. Well seen.

Douglas Bolt
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Roman. Cropping out the rock makes a big improvement. And, I like the idea of just toning down the stick that protrudes out of the water, rather than cloning it out completely. The toned down stick retains the "What the ..." factor without being too much "in your face".

I notice that your post does not seem as crisp, especially in the reflection of the trees on the mountain. I see nothing in your workflow that would account for that, other than possibly the USM. I would not have expected 60:30:0 to affect shapness, but I've never check. Do you know what would reduce sharpness? I'm not sure the extra crispness is any better, but I'm just wondering why your image seems to have lost some sharpness.

Thanks again for your help. I learn something with each post I make. Each time, it seems to evolve around developing a critical eye.

Roman Kurywczak
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Douglas,
I don't think the local contrst would do that.............I am 99% sure i did not do sharpening at all........I may have thought I was working on a sharpened jpeg.......at this pint.......i can't remember but you may want to give it a try.