PDA

View Full Version : Lily Background....

Amy DeStefanis
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
We have some lilies blooming in the yard.

Behind them also are some burgundy plants (loropetalum) and fountain grass. I couldn't quite get around to completely exclude the burgundy, and still get the pattern of the grass, which I thought would be interesting.... I tried to blur the background as much as possible... what do you think? Should I cut the lily put it in a vase and put my black velvet behind it? (hey... not a bad idea....). :)

Thanks,
Amy D.

Nikon D80
ISO 400
70-300mm @210 on tripod
1/1000/sec f5.6

Amy DeStefanis
08-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Well geez.....

I had the bright idea to go trim the BURGUNDY out of the way, and reshoot. So I trimmed the burgundy, set up my shot, looked through the viewfinder, and Oh No! :eek: Where's my background?

My incredibly efficient husband had already chopped down the fountain grass while doing his yard work. With the storm coming the fountain grass really gets beat down in the wind and rain.... Oh well. Stay tuned for the repost with the brown background....

Amy

Julie Kenward
08-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Crack me up, Amy! I wish I had a man around who did yard work! :D As for the image...

I like the fountain grass BG very much and don't even mind the soft lavendar flowers to the left of the flower but the three large ones at the bottom do bother me. You might just try to clone those three large ones out and see what you think.

The daylily itself is gorgeous BTW (by the way). I like it very much!

Fabs Forns
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I like the ones to the left of the stem, and as Julie, the other three are on the way. Lovely background and colors. I'd keep it for sure :)

Kaushik Balakumar
08-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Would agree with Julie & Fabs on the flowers on the left being OK but the ones to the bottom-right of the stem r a bit bothering.
That apart, its a good take. Will look fwd to ur re-post with dark BG...

Amy DeStefanis
08-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Crack me up, Amy! I wish I had a man around who did yard work! :D

Well, the yard would be much more jungle like without him around, that's for sure. He seems to thrive on the Florida humidity - and he's not even a Florida native like me.

Thanks for the comments. I did shoot with the brown background, and actually it has its own advantages - I'll post after my 24 hour moratorium is up.

Amy

Ed Vatza
08-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Very nice Daylily. Very sharp and very nice color. And the background looks great to me, Very well done.

Mike Moats
08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Amy, agree with others on the three dark flowers at the bottom. The day lily looks great, and a nice looking BG.