PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Kite

Anita Rakestraw
08-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I've never seen one of these before, so when I spotted this one just up the road from my house, I was excited! He/she flew off the first evening but stayed put the next time. I know, bad angle, could be sharper, that darned wire, etc., and my aperture and shutter speed are awful - I'd been shooting macro last on the camera and was in such a hurry to get this kite before it left that I forgot to notice my settings!! :eek: I have some other head turns but chose to post this one because the wire is a little less prominent here than in some of the others.

8-14-08 6:51 p.m.
1DMkIII, 500mm w/2x ext., fl 1000
ISO 400, 1/60, f/40 (!!) BLUBB on car window

Judd Patterson
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Cool, Anita! These guys are more common farther west in Kansas but they have been expanding east year by year. They are just on the verge of flying south for the fall migration. The red eye on the adults is really cool.

Anita Rakestraw
08-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Thanks for stopping, Judd, and for the information. I didn't know how common they are in my area, only that I hadn't seen one before. I suspected they were about to head out. Hope to get another chance to photograph this one though....

Fabs Forns
08-17-2008, 04:08 PM
That is one cool looking bird, never seen one before, thanks for sharing it!!!

Lana Hays
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Anita
A beauty like this......photograph them where you can. There are occasional reports of them within a reasonable drive but with the price of gas, it's been to costly of a "chance". I'd love to see one. Great colors.....especially how the bird, wire, and sky all blend in. Nice detail.....and a stunning red eye. I'm jealous.....well done.

Anita Rakestraw
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Fabs and Lana. I saw it on two evenings at the same place, haven't seen him again....:(