PDA

View Full Version : Butterly & flowers

Kaushik Balakumar
08-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Experimenting with some compositions instead of the usual close-ups. Included the flower on the left & in foreground. Not sure if this works. Again, need your views.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/101613377/original.jpg

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR micro + tripod
f/3.2, 1/3200, ISO800

Critiques welcome...

Kaushik Balakumar
08-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry for posting 2 images. But the same thread would have kept them relevant.
Tried the same frame for the 'rule-book' crop...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2767277979_ef38a02dd0_o.jpg

Does the larger frame work or is this close-up portrait better...?

Amy DeStefanis
08-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I have to say - I like the closeup better. Not because of the "rules", but with the foreground yellow blur, I think you captured the spirit of what you were attempting in the first picture without showing the whole flower. Could it be that you are trying to capture the feeling of being among the blooms with the butterfly? I think they both capture that, but the 2nd post takes my eye to the detail of the butterfly as well.

Amy D.

Fabs Forns
08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I really like the first one better because it includes a little more of the environment, although I know I may be alone in this. I also like the close up, don't get me wrong, but the first one is more of a fresh approach :)

Julie Kenward
08-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I've got to go with the second one but the first one was so close! I think I would like these OOF flowers in the foreground a little better if they were distinct from the one that is in focus. Have you tried a different angle or moved to the side a bit to see if you can't get separation between the OOF foreground and the infocus middle ground? I really think that would help solidify this quest you're on!

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I vote for the first also. Really like the balance you captured and the uniqueness of the first image.