PDA

View Full Version : Red Leaves

Matthew Kuchta
08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
last vestige of fall

http://www.geology.wisc.edu/%7Emk/photos/red-leaves.jpg

10D, 28-135IS, ISO 200
~1/15 sec @ f5.6

Another one of these "sketches." I was out for a walk along the Eau Claire River and was struck by the gray scene punctuated by the last few leaves remaining on the trees. Full frame, a little saturation in the reds and a gaussian blur overlay. I've made prints of this image both with and without the blur overlay and I think I prefer how the overlay softens the image just a little, making it a little less stark. Of course, that also puts it a little past just the basic "grab and go" script of the other shots I've posted.

Cheers,
-matt

Noel Carboni
08-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Whoa, nice mood and feel to this one. You have achieved color simplicity, and the low-key look is just the kind of thing that would be at home on the wall, possibly on frameless stretched canvas. Bravo!

-Noel

Fabs Forns
08-16-2008, 09:34 PM
So simple and elegant, with terrific use of color and design, will be looking forward to more!

carole wiley
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
This is just very appealing.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Nice work Matthew - a very elegant presentation. You did well interpretating your vision here.

I might suggest that not having the red leaves touching the frame edges can strengthen the image. I downloaded it and removed by cloning the clipped leaves. I will say I did it quickly and not very expertly but more for me to see how the image would look given my suggestion. Since I had it done, figured I would post it. Of course, the final decision is yours.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi Matthew,
I was going to suggest trying what Robert did in the re-post........and I'm glad he did........I find myself liking the original version better (which surprised even me)........as now it seems you have captured the continuum you were searching for and even better......conveyed it to me the viewer! The blurring was also a nice touch IMO as it gave the image an almost Japanese watercolor feel to it. I especially like the spots on the water in the BG as another layer and element that has put me in the place. For me this represents your best effort at the visual sketch.

Robert Amoruso
08-18-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree Roman, I can go either way here with the red leaves and the frame edges and feel the original is just right as presented.

Matthew Kuchta
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone. I chose not to include all of the leaves when I took the picture to add a little more tension and movement to the image. It also has the effect of inviting the viewer to imagine the world extends beyond the viewfinder. Adding some negative space next to the leaves lets the image "breathe" a little too much when compared to the energy of the many branches leaving the frame. I'm glad you posted an alternative - I prefer the first composition, but it confirms it for me by seeing it the other way. Without the 'business' of the branches, however, I think Robert's suggestion would be preferable: playing UP the calmness and serenity of the red/gray relationships.

Paul Marcellini
08-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Excellent look and feel. Much better than the thumbnail suggests. You have a great piece of art here.

Judd Patterson
08-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Definitely a moody piece here. The soft treatment is perfect and those grays give the reds a chance to really shine. Well seen, captured, and edited!

Gerald_Gilligan
08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
This image has an art like quality to it.
I have come back to it twice know, and thought that the only thing that I would change is the "cluster" on the upper third of the right branch, my eyes keep going to it. For the purist you might not clone this out but for me this seems distracting.
Either way...great image...

Valerio Tarone
10-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Robert i apologize for my delay I was out, in Abruzzo searching for the marsican bear(hard challenge!!!!!). I agree, the image is better, picturique. I don't understand what focal used Matthew with a zoom 28-135 ?
Greetings valerio