PDA

View Full Version : Grand Entrance

Denis Glennon
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Compared to pelicans or ospreys,these little Rainbow Bee Eaters are so fast and flighty they are difficult to see, never mind photograph in flight. Yet their sheer beauty makes the effort very worthwhile. A little work in Photoshop created the 'spotlight' ..... not sure if it works ? Perhaps a bit too dramatic a contrast?

Canon 1DMkIII
Canon 600mm f/4 plus X1.4 converter.
1/2000 sec
f/5.6
ISO 800
Exposure Comp. +1
Evaluative Metering Mode
AI Servo

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Denis,

I'm one who likes to use light effects once in a while. The only think I see is 4 radial lines that seem to be part of that effect. Howdid you do it? I usually use Omni light for this.

Wish you could see the whole eye. Beautiful plumage!

Denis Glennon
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Denis,

I'm one who likes to use light effects once in a while. The only think I see is 4 radial lines that seem to be part of that effect. Howdid you do it? I usually use Omni light for this.

Wish you could see the whole eye. Beautiful plumage!

Fabs,
I am an absolute amateur with Photoshop and I discovered the technique by accident. I use PS CS3. Here goes ....
Open Gradient Fill; use the Diamond style; play around with the Angle indicator; and try a Scale of around 125. You can also reverse the black and white effect.
Good Luck. Hope it works for you.
I admire your bird photographs very much.
I am very new to photogrpahy ... < 2 years.
Where do I find Omni light?
Kind Regards,
Denis.

Denis Glennon
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Fabs,
I am an absolute amateur with Photoshop and I discovered the technique by accident. I use PS CS3. Here goes ....
Open Gradient Fill; use the Diamond style; play around with the Angle indicator; and try a Scale of around 125. You can also reverse the black and white effect.
Good Luck. Hope it works for you.
I admire your bird photographs very much.
I am very new to photogrpahy ... < 2 years.
Where do I find Omni light?
Kind Regards,
Denis.

Fabs,
I forgot to mention that you can use the Opacity slider after you have done the above to further adjust the 'spotlight' effect.
Regards,
Denis.

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Denis,

You go to Filters>Render>Light effects and use the little drop menu to find Omni, I think the default is Spotlight that I'm not crazy about. You probably need to be working in 8 bit.

Thanks for the explanation :)