PDA

View Full Version : Resting

Bill Foxworthy
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Wood Stork today resting in parking lot.
Canon 40D, 100-400,
1/250, f/8.0, ISO 500, Flash CW Ave metering

Lana Hays
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Bill
Wow.....this one sure looks relaxed.....amazing given he's in a parking lot. Great view of how they rest. I like the coloration.......browns and then the slight yellow of the bill and those pink feet. Nice detail, too. I might crop a little of the left and possibly lighten it some although I'm working on a new laptop so I'm not quite sure about the brightness. Well done.

Judd Patterson
08-16-2008, 09:59 PM
This is cool Bill. The way that these storks rest is really bizarre to see and a treat to photograph. I agree with Lana that a bit off the left might be nice to decentralize the stork just a bit more. Good work!

Bill Foxworthy
08-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks Lana and Judd, I will look at the crop as suggested and will try to get another image soon of these birds all the way down. :)

Amy DeStefanis
08-17-2008, 09:10 AM
It's disorienting to me to see this great bird on asphalt.

I see sandhill crane families in all sorts of places - but it's rare (for me, anyway) to even see a wood stork on the river - much less "cooling his heels" on the tarmac. I had no idea they rested this way. And I don't think I ever noticed their feet - because I always see them wading (when I see them).

This image conveys a message about habitat loss that makes me a little sad - in a good way - if that makes sense. It's effective.

Amy D.

Bill Foxworthy
08-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Amy. These birds seem to adapt very well and I have seen them this way a few times now. They also will lay completely down like they are on eggs and I assume they are resting or wanting to sleep. This image was created on a cloudy day early morning. They aren't very photogenic and sort of ugly but they sure are precious to me anyway!
bf

Fabs Forns
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Funny the should do this, We've seen them in the Everglades , doing it and always wondered why.
You may try and repost this is the behavior Forum, it may lead to some interesting discussion!