PDA

View Full Version : Neck, shoulders and wrists

Bill Foxworthy
08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Morning everyone. If not the right forum, pardon. My escapades for the last few months. :D
After having my Camera and lens hanging from my neck on a few outings my neck started hurting. :confused:
Started using my tripod more and then my right, then left shoulder started hurting :(
Having my Camera and lens hung form shoulder using the camera strap, shoulder's still hurting.:eek:
I have been holding and supporting my camera and lens more using my hands, first right and then left and now my wrists started hurting. :o
Do I have to give up photography now or your best suggestions surely needed. ;)
bf

Fabs Forns
08-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Motrin 800 :D:D

Seriously, carrying equipment does take a toll on us. My bad knee doesn't like carrying the 600 in that leg, I have to carry it uncomfortably in the other side. I NEVER hang the camera from my neck. Using the tripod as support when you are not using it helps and try not to carry two bodies, you can only do one thing at a time anyway.

Good luck!

Alfred Forns
08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Agree with Fabs Bill !!!!

Not sure which tripod/head are you using? Try going as light as possible. Will take a while to get used to it but will get there.

Padding is very important for the shoulder. One of my vests has custom thick padding installed and when not using that vest I substitute for a towel. The towel is used to wipe perspiration and shoulder support. I keep it wrapped around the tripod leg with velcro and just folded for carrying the tripod. After a while you will be able to balance the tripod. Make sure the legs are fully extended.

For really long walks (more than a mile or two) I will remove the lens from the head and carry by the foot by my side. Also is you are using a heavy vest do remove any time you will be standing around. Every little bit helps !!!

Bill Foxworthy
08-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Fabs and Al, All tips are GREATLY appreciated. My neck was getting better and then I let my camera hang from it for about 30 seconds and my neck bothers me again. Advil helps greatly and the Towel I will try for sure. My Tripod is an old one and too heavy for sure but I really don't use it that much and the new ones are just over priced in my book. I guess its just time to go to the pain reliever from now on. Thanks again, all help and hints appreciated. :)

Rocky Sharwell
08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Bill:

Yoga classes and stretching a bit before and during photographing helps me.........

Jim Neiger
08-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Bill,

Try carrying your camera and lens on your waist. Get a work belt and a pliers pouch from a store like Home Depot. Cut the bottom off the pliers pouch and attach it to the belt. Then put the lens foot in the pliers pouch like it was a holster. This puts all the weight of the cameraq and lens on your waist and legs. It also frees up your hands. If you need the tripod carry it seperately over your shoulder with a pad. I hope this helps.

Bill Foxworthy
08-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jim for that tip. I have been letting the lens foot slip into my pants pocket and it helps a lot like that. The tip on the pouch and belt sounds like it may work great also. I will give that some thought. Thanks very much.
bf

Amy DeStefanis
08-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Not sure what camera strap you use, but I carried a really heavy Nikkormat for years - and used the Op-Tech neoprene strap. The strap absorbs a lot of the shock while walking with the camera on your neck, if you don't find an alternative. I have had one for over 20 years, and it's held up great.

Amy D.

Bill Foxworthy
08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I have heard the Op-Tech is a good weight distribution strap and I have been looking at them. They seem to have changed the design and I was shocked to see that. Hopefully I can come up with some solution. Sort of took the week-end off to see if that will help.
bf

James McComas
08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I understand. Logging all that equipment can be pretty stressful. take a look at this web site. They have an idea that tyou might be able to use. Its a photographic equipment cart.

http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/EquipmentCart.htm

Good luck.

Bill Foxworthy
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks James, That site certainly looks interesting and I will visit it more soon.
bf