PDA

View Full Version : ID help please!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi everyone,
This image was made at the Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in the UK. Can anyone help me with an ID?
Regards,
Nicki
:)

John Chardine
08-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Hi Nicki- Isn't Slimbridge a fabulous place! I lived close by in Somerset growing up and got to Slimbridge a few times.

I think this is a Philippine Duck Anas luzonica but will leave to others to confirm.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi John!
Yes, Slimbridge has always been one of my very favourite places - when I was a very small girl I asked Sir Peter Scott for his autograph!!!
I am intrigued to hear that you grew up in Somerset - are you British by any chance and do you ever come over this way? I only live 1/2 hour north of Slimbridge so if you are ever in the area do get in touch!
Best regards,
Nicki

James Prudente
08-15-2008, 09:24 AM
John's ID is spot on.

Jim

John Chardine
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Nicki- I was born in Canada but grew up in the west country in Clevedon, Nailsea and some smaller villages. I remember a lecture Sir Peter Scott gave at the University of Guelph in Ontario back in the 1970s. At that time he called for a 10 year moratorium on duck hunting in North America to allow populations to recover. It never happened of course. I'll let you know if I am ever over your way. I'm in Scotland over the next 10 days but that's a bit far!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
John - I can't believe that you grew up just down the road from here - have a wonderful time in Scotland!
Regards,
Nicki