PDA

View Full Version : Panellus longinquus

John Cooper
01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Taken in the dim light of a rainforest in South-east Australia. Immuture form.

Canon EOS 5D Canon, 100mm macro lens, 2 canon flashes hand held off camera - one above and closser to subject and second flash held 3-4 times the distance away as fill-in.

Chris Starbuck
01-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Nice lighting, John! You've really brought out the translucence and pastel color. I'd suggest cropping a little from the top and left, both to minimize the black background, and to move the 'shroom just a bit off-center. Very eye-catching image!

Chris

Nicole Brooker
01-12-2008, 02:38 AM
This image has a dreamy feel to it. I've never seen a fungus with that sort of colour. It's tough getting the right sort of lighting in the rainforest too. I like the suggestion about the cropping.

John Cooper
01-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Nicole, Yes one of the more attractive species - first came across this specimen at Megalong Valley in the Blue Mountains. Unfortunately I was travelling through from Sydney to my home in Cowra and didn't have any photographic gear with me (slap on the wrist)! I agonized for 2 days on how I could have captured this image to show its colour and translucency. In the end I jumped in the car and made the 3 hour trip back to the mountains hoping that some critter hadn't made a meal out of this exquisite specimen. Fortunately my subject was still intact - what a relief!!
Took a look at your website - you have some nice images there - well done.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Morning M8t !!!!! Fully agree with suggestions I find the image fascinating Love the translucency and delicate feel Your drive back was worth the effort Big Congrats !!!!

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
This looks like an Art Deco lamp, really, very beautiful.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Gorgeous and the translucent look to this image is very striking and really captures ones eye. Cropping suggestions I like.

Robert O'Toole
01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Hows going John,

Nice fungi, I like the shapes and the muted colors, love the delicate translucency and detail.

I prefer to handhold closeups myself but this is a case the subject screams for a tripod mount and a long natural light exposure.

NSW? wow, another reason I need to go back to one of my favorite places on earth, where abouts are you? SW-NSW?

Robert

John Cooper
01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Hows going John,

Nice fungi, I like the shapes and the muted colors, love the delicate translucency and detail.

I prefer to handhold closeups myself but this is a case the subject screams for a tripod mount and a long natural light exposure.

NSW? wow, another reason I need to go back to one of my favorite places on earth, where abouts are you? SW-NSW?

Robert
Thanks for your comments Robert. I live in the small country town of Cowra on the SW slopes of NSW - about 4 hours drive SW of Sydney.

Robert O'Toole
01-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I am jealous! Love the place.

I have good friends in Shellharbour (5 time worldchamp )so I spent close to 30 days driving up and down the coast. 30 days felt like 5 days as there was too much to see and do. I wish I had more time to do it again. Honestly it was really my fault, I spent too much time in the water surfing with my mates there. The waves are unreal as is the beauty of the natural areas.

Robert

Mike Moats
01-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey John. excellent image, great looking subject and the top lighting really makes this image pop. Well done.