PDA

View Full Version : Canaveral National Seashore Sunrise No. 3

Robert Amoruso
08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Another sunrise at Canaveral National Seashore. High tide this morning (8/2/08) so not much visual interest in the FG so I will limit the FG to a small strip (less that a RoT crop) to anchor the image and as is my preference, I use a slow shutter speed to create the smooth surface.

What I like about this sunrise was the god rays are diagonal left and the clouds diagonal right. The horizon has a unsual double line - it is in the orignal and nothing I did in PS. Comments welcome.

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 45mm TS
20 sec, f/22
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: +1
ISO: 50

Using the tilt-shift lens I shifted it up to place the horizon where I want it after leveling the camera with the horizon. 3-stop ND screw-in filter plus a 2-stop hard edge Hitech GND filter in a Cokin "P" holder. The GND filter was moved vertically to place the edge at the horizon.

Paul Marcellini
08-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I really like the opposing cloud/rays. The water texture is really nice as well. Definitely more to it then a simple sky shot with no foreground. The double lines on the horizon are a great extra detail.

How do you like the tilt shift lens? I've been thinking of one as Ive heard they are incredibly sharp, and of course easy to make panos, etc.

Robert Amoruso
08-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I really like the opposing cloud/rays. The water texture is really nice as well. Definitely more to it then a simple sky shot with no foreground. The double lines on the horizon are a great extra detail.

How do you like the tilt shift lens? I've been thinking of one as Ive heard they are incredibly sharp, and of course easy to make panos, etc.

Thanks Paul.

I like the TS lenses a lot. Very sharp and the shift function for panos is great. From the factory, the shift is up and down, but it you go vertical, you can get left to right plus a wider vertical angle to boot - more images required for a pano though it you start to rotate in vertical. You can also disassemble the lens and rotate the element housing in the frame to get shift in the horizontal format. I have done it.

What I really like is that they have Hyperfocal Distance scales. I have the 24mm, 45mm and 90mm.

ashkan ojaghi
08-15-2008, 06:11 AM
I loved the warm colors and the clean and smooth water at the bottom .. have you tried the panorama ?

Rocky Sharwell
08-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I really like it---has me thinking about getting up early tomorrow....

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2008, 06:46 AM
I loved the warm colors and the clean and smooth water at the bottom .. have you tried the panorama ?

Not this particular morning but I have. Just have not gotten around to doing any of them.

Johannes Glännman
08-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Very nice picture. It is so empty and so alive at the same time....

I have one issue thoe. The lines in the horizon... Sharp lines I see.. What is that? Looks very unnatural..

Cheers // johannes

Roman Kurywczak
08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey Robert,
Very nicely done with the god rays. Now if you get the rays and the long wave action.........nice series of the Canaveral Seashore.......you need to work on more titles.

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Very nice picture. It is so empty and so alive at the same time....

I have one issue thoe. The lines in the horizon... Sharp lines I see.. What is that? Looks very unnatural..

Cheers // johannes

johannes,

That's why I mentioned it in my post. It occurred in the original and I guess a function of the long shutter speed. I chose not to remove it as it is the way it occured.

Robert Amoruso
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Robert,
Very nicely done with the god rays. Now if you get the rays and the long wave action.........nice series of the Canaveral Seashore.......you need to work on more titles.

I am really dumb with titles. :confused:

Harold Davis
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
"Sea of Color" it's so dang beautiful noone even saw that it needs a little CW rotation!! it is awesome!! love the intersecting clouds and light rays!

Noel Carboni
08-16-2008, 09:32 AM
I love it when the clouds over the horizon make those dark rays. Beautifully captured.

Looks like it could use an ever so slight CW rotation. I wouldn't have noticed but that perfect water surface is right near the bottom of the frame.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
08-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I had did a rotation when I processed it but went back and checked and indeed a 1/4 degree CW rotation is needed. I must have been feeling crooked that day. :)

Harold Davis
08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
i never knew an italian to be crooked!!:D:D:D

Matthew Kuchta
08-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Interesting image, Robert.
It has the Stieglitz "equivalent" feeling to it.That double line on the horizon just feels weird. Like it's fighting me when I want to take in the entire image. It lends a bit of tension to an otherwise calm scene. I like the competing angles of the crepuscular rays of the sun and the clouds - it adds a very strong graphic element to the image..

Judd Patterson
08-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Just catching up a bit. Robert, the colors here are lovely. That double-horizon is a big plus and in combination with the shadowed rays in the clouds you managed to effectively carry the image without anything dominant in the foreground. Nice work.

Gus Cobos
08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Fantastic Robert. The colors in the sky looks like they were painted...congrats...:cool: