PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly with flowers in FG (an experiment)

Kaushik Balakumar
08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Wanted to try out shooting something other than the usual frame filling portraits of butterflies (I have full frame close-ups too). The flowers formed a good platform in the foreground leading us to the butterfly. A slightly more DOF would have defined the flower in the foreground better - but that would mean compromising a good background bokeh. Hence chose a shallow DOF.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/101601837.jpg

Not sure if this works... (would like to know ur views). I have close-ups too.
I would have liked a bit more space on top & right to give some room to the butterfly but realized this only during PP + this happens to be a full frame.

Techs:
Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR micro + tripod
f/11, 1/1000, ISO800

Critiques, suggestions welcome...

Amy DeStefanis
08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
So this is 2 flowers in the foreground, right? the nearest is a little too distracting for me. I'm trying to picture if it were cropped up into half of the center of the foreground bloom (did that make sense?). Because I get the idea you're going for - that foreground just seems to overwhelm. But I like the position of the butterfly, and appreciate what you're trying to do.

Amy D.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
08-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Kaushik , I see what you wanted but I think the shot doesn't quite deliver. I think the Meadow Brown (butterfly) needs a little more space around it and the image would have been better if it was cropped a little higher - to exclude the head of the lower flower.
Jon

Kaushik Balakumar
08-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Thank you for your views Amy & Jon.
I was also in 2 minds about this composition - hence thought it to be best to consult the forum members/experts...

Steve Foss
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
This foreground does not distract me. I like the color statement it makes. Adding a half inch of canvas to the top is a simple matter, and while adding the same to the right side would be slightly more involved it's still a pretty simple procedure.

Julie Kenward
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I like from the middle flower back...but that front flower is really a distraction to me.