PDA

View Full Version : Crop a Raw File--REALLY Crop it?

Johnny Bravo
01-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm hopeful that this is a dumb question (like so many I ask).

I've got, and use for different things at times:

Lightroom
Zoombrowser
DPP
CS3

I'd love to find a way to crop my raw images differently--destructively. Not like lightroom or DPP does it---I really want to crop them--and not carry the baggage of keeping the part I'm 'cropping off' around on my drives.

Maybe I'm just being silly--what with drive space so cheap these days--I've got 1.5 TB on my PC and a 2TB server-so I'm not short of space--but I just got my 1DS so it theres a way to do it..... now is clearly the time to learn it!!

Thanks,
John

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Not sure if that is possible At least I would not know how to They way HDs are going down hopefully the amount of crop per image is not sever, don't think is going to make a huge difference I think it is always good to have the original intact

Robert O'Toole
01-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Not sure if that is possible At least I would not know how to They way HDs are going down hopefully the amount of crop per image is not sever, don't think is going to make a huge difference I think it is always good to have the original intact

A agree 100% with Alfred. 1TB drives are less than $300 now. Save the OG (origional).

Robert

JH Tugs
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm in the "buy the HDD" camp also, but if you must crop, the best compromise might be to crop in LR or CS3, then export as DNG, and use the DNG as your 'raw' from then on.

Can anyone think of any bad side effects of doing this? (Permanent loss of cropped data notwithstanding)