PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Arthur Morris
08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Can you identify this one? Can you age it (determine the plumage)? Adult or juvenile?

Photographed on 2 AUG at Fort DeSoto Park, FL with the handheld 400 DO and the 40D. EXP data not available.

ps: This one is relatively easy...

Peregrine Craig Nash
08-14-2008, 02:30 PM
My Guess as somebody from the other side of the pond is Non Breeding Short Billed Dowitcher(griseus)

Eleanor Kee Wellman
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree with Peregrine, above, that it is a molting adult, Short-billed Dowitcher. For me the more white than black barring says it is short-billed and plumage of juvenile would be quite buffy until about November.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes to SB Dow. The bird is nearing the completion of its motl to winter (basic) plumage. The grey feathers are the basic feathers, the dark feathers are what's left of the breeding plumage. Any Long-billed Dowitcher on this date would be in worn breeding plumage with much color below as they molt much later in the year than short-bills.

Melvin Grey
10-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Keep them coming Artie, identification question images like these are invaluable, especially to us from 'across the pond'. BUT by placing my curser on the image, I got up an inf. box telling me it was a SBD moulting into winter plumage at Fort De Soto etc - doesn't this rather spoil the point of the question? I repeat, I find these images very useful, thanks again Artie.

Arthur Morris
10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Keep them coming Artie, identification question images like these are invaluable, especially to us from 'across the pond'. BUT by placing my curser on the image, I got up an inf. box telling me it was a SBD moulting into winter plumage at Fort De Soto etc - doesn't this rather spoil the point of the question? I repeat, I find these images very useful, thanks again Artie.

Hi Melvin, I am not as computer savvy as most of you folks; I will need to rememer to change the name before posting an ID photo...