PDA

View Full Version : Red Knot

Axel Hildebrandt
08-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Photographed on Long Island last weekend shortly before sunset. It was not so easy to isolate a single bird since they tend to stay together most of the time.

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/640s, f/8, EC +0.66, ISO 400

Ed Prete
08-14-2008, 08:13 AM
very nice. beautiful warm light, and nice foot position. I assume Nickerson or Lido?

Axel Hildebrandt
08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
very nice. beautiful warm light, and nice foot position. I assume Nickerson or Lido?

Thanks, Ed. This was at Nickerson Beach.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Wonderful low angle and lighting. The action with the raised foot makes it for me. Fine work Axel !!!

Arthur Morris
08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey Axel, I thought that you never see these birds.. Love the raised foot and the sweet light. And yes, the adults like to stay together. Can I assume that you were kneeling? (IAC, the perspective is very nice.)

Axel Hildebrandt
08-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey Axel, I thought that you never see these birds.. Love the raised foot and the sweet light. And yes, the adults like to stay together. Can I assume that you were kneeling? (IAC, the perspective is very nice.)

I was glad that there were still some red knots around. I didn't expect it after seeing your image. I was actually lying on my back and had the camera/lens on my chest.

Arthur Morris
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
There will be Red Knots in the region for several more months. The few juveniles should be showing up soon; they are gorgeous in fresh plumage. Then there is a second wave that arrives in mid-late SEPT. We had a few sizable flocks in NYC each year on the X-mas counts.... I'd need to see a picture of your photo posture...

Grace Scalzo
08-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Axel, a beautiful image of one of my favorite birds. As for your lens holding technique, quite incredible. The subleties here add a bit of extra interest (the little arch of water droplets coming from the raised foot and the hints of sweet color in the bg.)