PDA

View Full Version : Gho

William Currie
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Photographed @ Neck point Nanaimo B.C Canon Mark II N 500 F4 400 ISO 1/40 -2/3 F8 Thanks to Steve Large I was able to go and find these guys and photograph them

Arthur Morris
08-14-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi William, A very nice image but much too contrasty. I made a big contrast reduction, cropped a bit, and fattened the tree...

Axel Hildebrandt
08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Great find and I like the repost even better. It looks a bit soft on my monitor and I would try to sharpen the bird some more.

Doug Brown
08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Nice repost Artie. As I told Steve, try to get a bit more shutter speed. You probably don't need f/8 to photograph an owl in this pose. I'd rather see an image with a sharp head and breast that doesn't quite have enough DOF to get the whole bird sharp than an image that seems a little soft overall due to a slow shutter speed. Thanks for posting!

Steve Large
08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the credit on helping to find this one but I was actually kidding when I said you should mention me on BPN.:p

Anyway, Nice shot. I really like the ear tufts on his head that seem to stick out a lot farther than usual and make it a unique photo.

Hope to go shooting with you again sometime soon.

P.S. - How is that gash on your leg?

Steve L.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
What an exciting moment it must have been to see this beauty. He is certainly eyeing you William. Love the look and pose in this capture and good comments from above. . Really like the repost Artie.

William Currie
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Doug i agree some what with your statement but i think im losing my detail and sharpness when i post i took a 11x14 and shrunk it down to this size for the form and a low res the 11x14 is sharp i had mirror lock up and cable release for the shot Thanks Brad

Arthur Morris
08-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Doug i agree some what with your statement but i think im losing my detail and sharpness when i post. i took an 11x14 and shrunk it down to this size for the forum and a low res the 11x14 is sharp i had mirror lock up and cable release for the shot Thanks Brad

If you are doing what you said you were doing above (your writing is a bit unclear) then your approach is totally wrong: images should not be sharpened until they are sized for usage... An 11X14 for print needs a ton more sharpening than an 800 pixel tall image for the web... I suggest that you reconsider your workflow.

It does not seem likely that the problem is caused by what you describe above as if you sharpened properly for an 11X14 and downsized it it would look mega-over-sharpened...